Discussion - OpenMW video updates

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

Do you want version number overlays in every scene of the release videos?

No, just use them for footage from older versions (status quo).
46%
Yes, make the videos idiot-proof! ;-)
54%

Total votes: 26

ElderTroll

Re: [Comp] OpenMW video updates

Post by ElderTroll »

Watched both of the videos. Awesome as usual.

My only notes would be during the engine video.
1. I'm personally not a huge fan of the diamond wipe transition. That's a really minor thing.

2. The sections set in dungeons were difficult for me to see/know what was going on.

A.Could you add specific details about the scene used to demonstrate the bugfix or new feature. Sometimes it is very obvious and additional commentary is not necessary, but in poorly lit areas or in situations involving subtle game mechanics it could be easier to understand. Here are several examples. In the section about magic effects from deceased NPCs the journal was opened to show the magic effects
were still active from the bone walker, but maybe you could say, "As you can see. The bonewalker cast ______ on
my character and even after its death the effect is still active." Also, when leaving the dungeon and reentering to
show how respawning worked maybe a quick line about why you are showing us that, "Let me pop out and pop back
in and take a look at respawn rates". Similarly, at the 4 minute mark during the section
about the character placeat function it could be useful to explain what is happening on the screen. "The game is
spawning some ancestor ghosts, but without the safety checks they are stuck inside this outcropping of rocks."

B. Because dungeons are very confined spaces the camera movement was a little chaotic and hard to follow. Maybe lowering the mouse sensitivity would help.

C. The picture is also a little dark. Could you turn up the gamma or use an effect like night eye in the future?

3. I would like if there was always a marker showing us if we are seeing the previous release or the current
release. You had 0.38 marked, but 0.39 wasn't because it's implied that's what we're seeing. Maybe even use different
colors; red for previous releases and shiny white for the current release.

The other sections of the video were really easy for me to follow. Thanks for making the video! :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Great video!

We need to edit up all the CS videos to form a sort of "OpenMW-CS Guide". :)
Atahualpa

Discussion - OpenMW video updates

Post by Atahualpa »

The purpose of this thread is to discuss anything related to the OpenMW release commentaries as well as any other OpenMW-specific videos, e.g. the upcoming FAQ video, external Let's Plays, future tutorial videos for OpenMW-CS, et cetera.

The corresponding video compilation thread includes links to all OpenMW videos I have created so far, including transcripts and subtitles of these videos.
--> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3415
Last edited by Atahualpa on 08 Apr 2016, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

First off, thanks guys! :D
Then: I don't mean to be rude, but this thread is supposed to be a compilation of all video updates along with the corresponding transcripts and subtitles (see the opening post).

Could one of our moderators please move the last posts (including this one) to the corresponding discussion thread? --> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3462
Thanks in advance!

ElderTroll wrote: 1. I'm personally not a huge fan of the diamond wipe transition. That's a really minor thing.
Yeah, me too. I only used it because my default transition wasn't visible as the scene is very dark (see above).
ElderTroll wrote: 2A.Could you add specific details about the scene used to demonstrate the bugfix or new feature. Sometimes it is very obvious and additional commentary is not necessary, but in poorly lit areas or in situations involving subtle game mechanics it could be easier to understand. Here are several examples. In the section about magic effects from deceased NPCs the journal was opened to show the magic effects
were still active from the bone walker, but maybe you could say, "As you can see. The bonewalker cast ______ on
my character and even after its death the effect is still active." Also, when leaving the dungeon and reentering to
show how respawning worked maybe a quick line about why you are showing us that, "Let me pop out and pop back
in and take a look at respawn rates". Similarly, at the 4 minute mark during the section
about the character placeat function it could be useful to explain what is happening on the screen. "The game is
spawning some ancestor ghosts, but without the safety checks they are stuck inside this outcropping of rocks."
I agree. Another advantage of this approach: More time for video footage!
ElderTroll wrote: 2B. Because dungeons are very confined spaces the camera movement was a little chaotic and hard to follow. Maybe lowering the mouse sensitivity would help.
Honestly, I speeded up the footage because it was really long. This is also the reason for the many cuts in that particular scene.
ElderTroll wrote: 2C. The picture is also a little dark. Could you turn up the gamma or use an effect like night eye in the future?
Will do that!
ElderTroll wrote: 3. I would like if there was always a marker showing us if we are seeing the previous release or the current
release. You had 0.38 marked, but 0.39 wasn't because it's implied that's what we're seeing. Maybe even use different
colors; red for previous releases and shiny white for the current release.
Sounds like we are in need of a poll. IMO, having a permanent version indicator would be clearer but also very annoying.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Discussion - OpenMW video updates

Post by psi29a »

Great work! :D
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I´m making a game on OpenMW. Not much worthwhile showing yet, but when it´s gotten far enough, what do you think of uploading recorded footage of it in the MrOpenMW channel?
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Haha, the poll's "neutral" language. Maybe I should rethink/rephrase the labeling idea. Labeling the previous version and current version is only useful and clarifying, imo, during clips involving quick edits back and forth. However, the majority has spoken. S'all good. :lol:
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I just rewatched 0.39 and noticed you made no mention of the comeback of normal maps. Why not show Lysol´s Vivec retexture for a few seconds?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

ElderTroll wrote:Haha, the poll's "neutral" language. Maybe I should rethink/rephrase the labeling idea. Labeling the previous version and current version is only useful and clarifying, imo, during clips involving quick edits back and forth. However, the majority has spoken. S'all good. :lol:
:D Well, it's a neck-and-neck race at the moment. I'll stick to the status quo for this release; if there're complains about the version labels we can change that in future videos.
DestinedToDie wrote:I´m making a game on OpenMW. Not much worthwhile showing yet, but when it´s gotten far enough, what do you think of uploading recorded footage of it in the MrOpenMW channel?
Why not? However, the videos should be more like (release) commentaries, rather than uploading random footage or experiments. Basically: the OpenMW team about a project using our engine. Keeps the whole thing on a professional level.
DestinedToDie wrote:I just rewatched 0.39 and noticed you made no mention of the comeback of normal maps. Why not show Lysol´s Vivec retexture for a few seconds?
Sure, I mainly wanted to finish the WIP videos before weekend. When I'm back home, I'll give it a try and take some footage (if lysol permits it).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

So, let's discuss the 0.40 (WIP) videos!
Atahualpa wrote:The first version of the OpenMW-CS video has been released.
-----------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/jyhV9U-BTu0 <<<
-----------------------------------------------

I'd suggest to redirect all further discussion to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3462

I'd be pleased to hear your opinion, especially on the following:
1. Is my unedited voice in any way tolerable?
2. Is the background music played at the right volume?
3. How's the video's quality (stuttering, skipped frames, etc.)?
Known issues:
- [3:16] we don't use blender's standard configuration (Is the word "similar" okay though?)
- neither English nor German subtitles available at the moment
- the voice track will be redone for the final version (Although I'd like to keep my voice unedited -- only some noise reduction would be nice.)