Advertise Example Suite and Game Template projects

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Advertise Example Suite and Game Template projects

Post by psi29a »

Please do.

I wouldn't call it dead, just sadly silent on my side. New house, new child, parents flying in for a week, eastern vacation with the kids. Not much time for anything else. :)

If you want to just move forward with something functional, that's fine too. Glad you want to step up Destined! Yell if you need me! ;)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think you should make a minirelease for the OpenMW Template where you include your new map of the island. This is so that modders can place objects and edit the map region colors without it getting all messed up next Template release.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Alright, here is the new and improved Roadmap: https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/examplesuite/roadmap

I filled out 3 versions. As you can see, there are only a few tasks and features to fill in every version. This way making a release will be much easier.

There is a long list of non-urgent tasks which can be tackled at any moment, disregarding the versioning releases.

Atualpha: While it isn´t perfect, I think you can go ahead and make it public after we get the new updated map from Psi29a.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Shall I wait until v0.40.0 is ready or do you want more support as soon as possible, i.e. a call to arms in the 0.39 videos?
(If psi29a found the time to finish his mini-release until then, of course.)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I don´t see any sense in waiting longer, unless you´ve already gone through the trouble to make the 0.39 video and it´d be a mess to restructurize it to include the template + Example Suite. We aren´t in a hurry, so no big deal if you´d rather move it to 0.40.

Oh, and we don´t need modders so much as we need modelers. There are more modders in the Morrowind community than modelers, but we don´t have the resources (models) yet to give work for everyone. Also, I would guide any applicants into the "join the team" subforum.

Do you have the Template installed yet? You can show off the placeholder "Moonboy", who got his name from this screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/yqK22Vu.png

You can try him out ingame. He has walking animations and can bring his hand up for combat. You can also walk along the beach or jump around on the sandy hills of the island. You could probably also load up a huge amount of cells and look at the island from high above. Because there are no statics, fps might not even be too crushing. Given that the Template has been around for quite some time, giving it some exposure is long overdue.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I'll see what I can do. The list of solved issues for the engine part is quite large, so if the video gets too long I'd rather delay the showcase. - Or do a separate video in between the next releases.

You're right, it's modellers. Over the years, modder has become my all-round word for anyone who changes a game in any way.

I'll install the Game Template as soon as possible. Your ideas about what I can do are a good start. :)
johndh

Post by johndh »

Well, I just got moved into my new place, so I can probably have some more work done within the next few days. Then there should be a little more to show off. :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Okay, I put back the showcasing part to a future video. However, I included some general statements about both projects. IMO, it doesn't make sense to show any contents yet, so I'll use OpenMW game footage with that text.

Do you agree with the following remarks?
Spoiler: Show
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

"The OpenMW Game Template project has set its goal to providing the very basic assets a game developer would need to create a whole new game using the OpenMW engine."

"It will contain only CC-BY-3.0-licensed content, which is free to use for your own projects."

"Its purpose is to showcase the improved and additional features such as bump maps and better combat..."

What do you think of these minor changes?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Sounds good to me.

Ahem, is "CC-BY-3.0" pronounced character by character in English or is there any short form?