Advertise Example Suite and Game Template projects

OpenMW's very own demo, template and game to show off everything that OpenMW is capable of.

Moderator: Example suite forum moderator

Atahualpa

Advertise Example Suite and Game Template projects

Post by Atahualpa »

Hello,

I'm currently working on the 0.38 videos and realized that there's not much to say on the part of OpenMW-CS. So I came up with the idea to say something about the goals and the current status of both the Example Suite as well as the OpenMW Game Template project. I think that this could be really interesting for modders watching the OpenMW-CS video, and maybe some people are willing to support these projects.

What I figured out so far (correct me if I'm wrong):

Example Suite:
- goal: provide fully playable demo that presents improvements over the vanilla engine as well as new features of the OpenMW engine
- uses completely free content; CC-BY license? (Well, you know more about the licensing stuff than I do...)
- creates a world distinct from Bethesda's Nirn
- provides an own storyline --> recent story drafts/poll
- status: decide on story, discuss game mechanics, wait for OpenMW-CS to catch up, land mass including height map has been suggested
- lure: modders, artists, modellers, animators could work freely within the limits of the Example Suite

Game Template:
- goal: provide the minimum of ressources needed to start creating a game using the OpenMW engine
- maybe add some extra content to speed up early development
- status: early work on base animations, some basic scripting and modelling... (What else?)
- lure: help creating a basic framework that allows people to quickly start game development using the OpenMW engine

What do you think? - And is there anything you would add to this?
DestinedToDie

Re: Advertise Example Suite and Game Template projects

Post by DestinedToDie »

It would be a poor idea to publically advertise the Example Suite just yet.

https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/examplesuite/roadmap

The roadmap has very little to do, especially in the way of beginner tasks. If modders hear about ES and come here, they´ll have no direction. Of course, in a perfect world they would take the initiative and populate the roadmap by themselves. Right now we are setting things up so that when they come here, they´ll have a long list of things to do.

My guess would be that we´ll be ready for advertisement in 0.39 or 0.40 or 1.0.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

As Destined said, I'd hold off a bit.

I've been trying to get a new release of the Template out the door, but life keeps pushing me in a different direction. For example, my wife just gave birth. ;)
lysol

Post by lysol »

psi29a wrote:For example, my wife just gave birth. ;)
So? Hurry up will ya?

Just kidding. Congratulations! :)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Alright, I'll keep these parts for later releases. It's too bad, I'm really excited about both projects - but haste makes waste.

@DestinedToDie: Man, you've just directed me to the ES bugtracker which I was eagerly looking for. :o :D
Well, that is a legitimate excuse. ;) Congratulations!
raevol

Post by raevol »

Congrats!!
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

definitively congrats on the new addition to the family!!

Regarding the template, is this available to download? I ask because I have been playing around with a blank esp file for morrowind TC and I have yet to be able to bring in any land that I generate in tesannwyn. I have not yet had any success on this, and I thought that the template may allow me to do this.

ST the land grabber
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Thanks, grabbed a copy.

ST
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Looks like the Example Suite is dead again. Perhaps it was a mistake to make a story draft. Since things aren´t moving, I´m going to take the roadmap and fill it according to my vision so that we´d have something for 0.39 or 0.40.

All models and construction set work will be tasks. Features will be taken straight from the OpenMW roadmap. Releases will match OpenMW releases.