[WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: [WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Post by Atahualpa »

The reworked video is ready for upload. As stated above, I sticked to the longer version, the shorter one can be considered a backup. I also have prepared transcripts in English and German, as well as subtitles with accurate timestamps.

It would be nice if some of you could proofread the transcripts. :)

OpenMW_0-36-0_Script_English.txt
Transcript for OpenMW 0.36.0, English version
(12.3 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
OpenMW_0-36-0_Script_German.txt
Transcript for OpenMW 0.36.0, German version
(13.26 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

@ ElderTroll:
The YouTube video hasn't gone live because of the ominous abscence of the account's password.

Making the video took me a good amount of time. The actual work on the script, the sound and video recording, and the editing of the raw data, only cost me two days.
Cursing OpenShot for its infamous runtime error on Windows, cursing Windows Movie Maker for crashing when too many video snippets are opened in one project, cursing Windos Movie Maker for poor output quality when using .flv files as source data, cursing SUPER for not converting those video files properly, cursing MediaCoder for the need of solving simple arithmetic problems in order to go on with video converting for free, and - again - cursing Windows Movie Maker for crashing due to .ddl problems in regard to .wmv decoding, took me another three days.
Add one day for polishing, writing the translation, and providing accurate subtitles - finished.

With optimisations regarding my workflow, three to four (full) days seem to be possible for a smaller release. OpenMW 0.37.0 is in a league of its own though.

Your plan amazingly mirrors my idea for a release plan. I would suggest to release the first video as soon as possible, and let it work its magic for two weeks. After that, the second and the third video could be released in a shorter interval - depending on the progress of version 0.39.0.

After my exams (i.e. at the end of next week), I should be able to work "full time" on these videos. I will definitely give it a go. :)
Last edited by Atahualpa on 22 Feb 2016, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

PW sent.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Thanks for the password, scrawl!
But: My dear friend Google won't let me in, because I'm trying to access this site in "an unusual way" - i.e. from Germany. To make sure that I'm no ordinary hacker, Google wants me to specify the deposited e-mail address which I don't know.

*sigh* Everything could be so easy...
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Sirherbetaka (sic?) and weirdsexy have it. The email might be [email protected] or [email protected].
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I think gmail gives bounce back messages when you email a nonexistent address, so it shouldn't be too hard to test which of those is real (provided no one's made the other one, either as part of the project, or because they wanted to impersonate the project or thought it sounded cool).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You could always create your own youtube account and we can use the video like that.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@ ElderTroll, @ AnyOldName3: I may have expressed myself in an unclear way. I have got the e-mail address and the password for our YouTube account, but the creator (WeirdSexy?) had to deposit a different e-mail address as kind of an anti-hacker protection. And that address is unknown to me. :(

I hope this image makes it clearer:
YouTube-trouble.png
@ psi29a: To be honest, I have strong reservations regarding Google services (as well as Facebook), and thus would only reluctantly create my own account there. Moreover, I don't know if it is wise to make up a new channel, virtually abandoning the original one.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Agreed. A new YouTube channel would not be helpful. We need to straighten this situation out somehow. Preferably in a way that avoids suck hiccups in the future. If it takes a bit more time then so be it. WeirdSexy and Sirherbetaka are inactive, not dead. Eventually they will reply.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Short heads-up:

WeirdSexy sent me a PM. Sadly, he wasn't able to log into the YouTube account as well - in fact, he became victim of the same security step and couldn't remember the correct fallback e-mail address. He will try to log in from his home PC later, so keep your fingers crossed!

He also stated that raevol or ElderTroll may know the mysterious address. I just sent a message to raevol as well as to sirherrbatka (that's how you actually spell his user name ;) ).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Sorry for the double-post - don't let it bother you, but I want this issue to be solved.

To sum things up:
1. I have got the e-mail address and the password for our YouTube account.
2. I don't have the recovery e-mail address the account's creator had to deposit as a security measure.
3. The following members stated that they do not know the recovery e-mail address:
- WeirdSexy (he is also unable to log in)
- sirherrbatka
4. Members I can think of, who may know/have the address (no guarantee):
- Zini, scrawl
- raevol, ElderTroll (mentioned by WeirdSexy)

The most important question is: Who created the YouTube channel in the first place?
(We have one hint though; the recovery e-mail address is shown as follows: "a••••••••••••[email protected]".)