OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Br0ken

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by Br0ken »

Yes, it's a bunch of work... That's why I will be happy with a partial compatibility with Oblivion (landmass, graphical assets).
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

Remember, there are huge numbers of completely original mods that use the Oblivion/Skyrim .nif format. If OpenMW could support Oblivion .nifs alone, a vast new library of assets would be available to modmakers with minimal effort (i.e. assets that are made from scratch). The 'effort' part (and also acquiring permissions), is the reason many of these mods have not been 'downgraded' to Morrowind in the first place.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Tolchock wrote:Remember, there are huge numbers of completely original mods that use the Oblivion/Skyrim .nif format. If OpenMW could support Oblivion .nifs alone, a vast new library of assets would be available to modmakers with minimal effort (i.e. assets that are made from scratch). The 'effort' part (and also acquiring permissions), is the reason many of these mods have not been 'downgraded' to Morrowind in the first place.
I think you may be overestimating how many modded models are made completely from scratch. The majority of them use Bethesda's NIFs as a base.

Though even in cases where there are completely original models, it would be better to take the original source files and export osg models if at all possible (or failing that, making use of nifskope to preconvert them). That way we don't have to worry so much about incompatibilities and unknown data structures in the various NIF versions.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Just a teaser. Only a region map, but it's something.

cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Weather map of Skyrim

Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

If you're doing these, I'm curious as to how Fallout 3, New Vegas and (possibly) 4 compare.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Sslaxx wrote:If you're doing these, I'm curious as to how Fallout 3, New Vegas and (possibly) 4 compare.
I would like to, but I don't have those games. I will look out for any specials on Steam or GMG.

Terrain of City and surroundings (default texture only)

Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Oh wow. This is pretty cool. It reminds me of the earliest OpenMW release videos I saw.
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Obviously there's still a lot of work that would need to be done, but is there any reason that the Tamriel Rebuilt team (or anyone else) couldn't use this as a jumping off point to adding Cyrodiil and Skyrim to Morrowind?

Also, the Steam Winter Sale is going on right now. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are on sale for $6.79 each (GOTY/Ultimate editions). I'm not really sure what one could do by importing map data from those games into Morrowind, but I'm sure it would open up a lot of options for new mods!
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Greywander wrote: is there any reason that the Tamriel Rebuilt team (or anyone else) couldn't use this as a jumping off point to adding Cyrodiil and Skyrim to Morrowind?
Lack of manpower. Project Tamriel (sister project of Tamriel Rebuilt) aims to recreate Skyrim and Cyrodiil in a very Morrowindic style. So far Skyrim: Home of the Nords has yet to release a quested area and Project: Cyrodiil is much the same.

In my opinion those 2 projects are better than a recreation of Oblivion and TES V: Skyrim. But little developers, slow workflow, takes years to get a release.

The only practical way to get the whole of Cyrodiil and Skyrim added to Morrowind is not by TR team, but OpenMW fully/partially working with Oblivion files. Although if you´re thinking of joining and doing a lot of work or going with option 3, then go ahead by any means.