HUGE savefiles (28 MB + !!!)

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
NKoS

HUGE savefiles (28 MB + !!!)

Post by NKoS »

Hey guys, newcomer here, been following OpenMW for some time and switched to it at 0.36, and I've noticed a few small oddities.
First, corpses don't disappear. I don't know by how much this causes save file bloat, but my largest one is a whopping 28 MB.
Took me some time to realize corpses don't disappear on their own, and then I realized saving was slowing down to a snail's pace because the files were getting as inflated as Almalexia's ego. Now, I disable or dispose off any corpse I see.
For a comparison, a not-so-vanilla Morrowind save is about 5MB.
Hold on. That's only a relatively small difference. Does OpenMW have difficulties saving?
Vanilla Morrowind never had a hard time overwriting a few megs, why does it take OpenMW a solid 20 seconds? Is this a known issue? Or is it just my installation?
I also have trouble getting some things to work, like the levers in Sotha Sil. They only activate what they're supposed to half of the time.

I run a Steam version of the game, by the way.

Anyway, here are my specs:
Spoiler: Show
And my load order, as set by MLOX and imported to OpenMW
NatalieN

Re: HUGE savefiles (28 MB + !!!)

Post by NatalieN »

What version are you running? 0.37.0?

Not sure about the file size, but there have been some code changes that address the save game speed. See this commit.. Saves are virtually instant now, so fast Scrawl had to add in a saved game indicator

I no longer have any saves that were generated on 0.37.0 or earler. My largest is just over 9 MB
I also have trouble getting some things to work, like the levers in Sotha Sil. They only activate what they're supposed to half of the time.
Might have been fixed with 1176.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Here you can download and test the latest nightlies from the main repo. And yes, the saves are huge, yet.
http://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1808
NKoS

Post by NKoS »

Yeah, I'm running 0.37 right now. As I said, corpses don't disappear for me, which is a known bug. I'm pretty sure a lot of that bloat is caused by all those rats I didn't dispose off.
What do I do with that file? Just drop it somewhere in the install folder? Or is it part of those nightly builds?
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Download the daily 64 bits version, uninstall the old one and install the new. Just that.

Here you can see the daily changes. It's fun!
http://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/activity
NKoS

Post by NKoS »

I will try that.
Thanks for the help, guys.
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

That's a big save.