OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
scrawl

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by scrawl »

A random pause in gdb gives:

Code: Select all

#0  0x0000000001144059 in osg::Polytope::contains(osg::BoundingSphereImpl<osg::Vec3f> const&) ()
#1  0x000000000114411c in osg::CullingSet::isCulled(osg::BoundingSphereImpl<osg::Vec3f> const&) ()
#2  0x00007ffff678ace5 in osgUtil::CullVisitor::apply(osg::Group&) () from ./lib/libosgUtil.so.130
osg::CullingSet::isCulled is an inlined method. It shouldn't show up in the stack trace of a release build.

With my own source build I can't get to break on osg::CullingSet::isCulled, since it was inlined.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

BigRed wrote:Hello - big fan of the project and first-time poster. I was hoping that someone could explain some odd behavior on my OS X copy of the release package (please see attached screenshots). It's hard to explain what exactly is occurring, but NPCs seem to “wrap around” my field of view - very disorienting!
Looks like you simply have a very large field of view... look in your options under "video" what the FOV slider is set to. With your aspect ratio (16:10 if I'm not mistaken), 80-85 would be a good setting, I believe. Morrowind default FOV with 4:3 aspect ratio is 75.
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

scrawl wrote:A random pause in gdb gives:

Code: Select all

#0  0x0000000001144059 in osg::Polytope::contains(osg::BoundingSphereImpl<osg::Vec3f> const&) ()
#1  0x000000000114411c in osg::CullingSet::isCulled(osg::BoundingSphereImpl<osg::Vec3f> const&) ()
#2  0x00007ffff678ace5 in osgUtil::CullVisitor::apply(osg::Group&) () from ./lib/libosgUtil.so.130
osg::CullingSet::isCulled is an inlined method. It shouldn't show up in the stack trace of a release build.

With my own source build I can't get to break on osg::CullingSet::isCulled, since it was inlined.
Thanks for investigating this scrawl. Seems like cmake didn't like the way i specified CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE. Now the the fps are a lot closer to my local build.

The links i posted now point to the new builds.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Seems like cmake didn't like the way i specified CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE. Now the the fps are a lot closer to my local build.

The links i posted now point to the new builds.
Thanks, much better.

I've uploaded all binaries to github. @raevol: Showtime!
corristo

Post by corristo »

@BigRed
What's your FOV (field of view) setting?
BigRed

Post by BigRed »

Pherim wrote:
BigRed wrote:Hello - big fan of the project and first-time poster. I was hoping that someone could explain some odd behavior on my OS X copy of the release package (please see attached screenshots). It's hard to explain what exactly is occurring, but NPCs seem to “wrap around” my field of view - very disorienting!
Looks like you simply have a very large field of view... look in your options under "video" what the FOV slider is set to. With your aspect ratio (16:10 if I'm not mistaken), 80-85 would be a good setting, I believe. Morrowind default FOV with 4:3 aspect ratio is 75.
This worked, thank you! Not sure why it was all the way up on a fresh install, though.
Exciter

Post by Exciter »

Hi, following your project for a long time. One of the last thing in the gaming world I am still interested.
This is some feedback I wanted to share. Done side by side comparison between fresh unmoded vanilla and OpenMW 0.37.
Noticed strange, possibly game braking, problem in 0.37. There is something bad about how textures is drawn. Can’t explain in very technical terms, because I am not familiar with game programing. Tried to capture this behavior with fraps, but after video file compression it is almost unnoticeable.
Effect is most noticeable then facing some buildings in Balmora, (Pawnbroker shop is really bad) and moving sideways. Ground and building textures just lags. There is no smoothness to the motion. Effect is just painful to look.
This is not low fps issue. With i5 2500k and 970GTX I am always at 60+ fps. Tried adjusting settings, turning vsync On/Off in game settings and/or NVidia control panel. Issue remained. However, disabling anisotropic filtering helps a lot, but not enough. Also this behavior sometimes disappears or lessens to become almost unnoticeable. My OS is Window 10 64bit.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Exciter

Post by Exciter »

scrawl wrote:Sounds like https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2737
Yes, this is exactly what I see in game.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

scrawl wrote:Sounds like https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2737
Is there any plans to increase physics update rate whenever all the optimization is done for 1.0 or is it a case where if the physics updates are run at the same rate as camera updates the gametime would speed up and slow down?