The creatures without bounding boxes

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
zelurker

The creatures without bounding boxes

Post by zelurker »

I tested this for the sable dragon, problem with their flesh atronach.
I just discovered that if you go to their meshes/r directory and changes the xAtronach_flesh.nif file to be a symlink to Atronach_flesh.nif instead (which contains a bounding box) then everything is fixed, the bounding box is here and the animation of the atronach sending poison attacks works correctly.

So it would seem the default nif file without the x must be loaded for this to work, but no idea why, I know absolutely nothing about nif files, just launched nifskope for the 1st time today, and the nif plugin for blender that I compiled from git is unable to import this flesh atronach.

Anyway I guess a temporary fix would be to replace all the nif files starting with an x by symlinks pointing to their base files for now, but it's not a nice solution...

EDIT : apparently it's about the flesh atronach only, the solution is to use nifskope to import the bounding box from "Atronach_flesh.nif" into "xAtronach_flesh.nif", this way no problem... It's still surprising that vanilla morrowind does this all by itself...
Pherim

Re: The creatures without bounding boxes

Post by Pherim »

I am not entirely sure how original Morrowind handles this, but as far as I know, the nif files without the x are mainly used for reference and contain both graphics and animation of the creature, whereas the game actually appears to be using the x-nif and the x-kf separately for the creature's graphics and animation respectively. So if only the x-nif is replaced, the creature's appearance changes, but the animation remains as in vanilla. I don't know if the game actually uses anything from the nif without the x. But I also noticed that sometimes creatures without bounding boxes in their xnifs work and sometimes they don't... I have not idea whether this has anything to do with a bounding box being present in the nif without the x.
zelurker

Re: The creatures without bounding boxes

Post by zelurker »

For the sable dragon the other problem is the custom skeletons which stay stuck in the floor when trying to get up, this is not related to the bounding box but rather to the collision detection here.
Except that I need to test some more creatures to see if there are some more bounding box problems, normally no, I checked all the other nif files in the directory and the other files starting with an x contained a bounding box so there should be no more problem... hopefully ! I posted this to the mod's page on the nexus, maybe there's just 1 nif file to edit after all...