OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
onionland

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by onionland »

Hello, for the first time in a while,

I'm siding with releasing 0.37 sooner rather than later, I haven't been checking in on how things are progressing in the git, but from the perspective of a regular enthusiast I believe that we need something make us return from our summer lull. :D
commodore256

Post by commodore256 »

^ I tend not to comment on the time this project is taking. They're coding for free and I'm grateful that they're getting this far. Switching middleware takes some time ;)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thanks so much for updating us scrawl! Good to hear from you here on the forums. :)

My personal opinion: the only thing we should wait for before releasing 0.37 is the water shader. And if we could prioritize that to the top, that'd be nifty.

My thought is that our water shader has been a pretty visible OpenMW-unique feature for a while now, and if we do a release without it, people are going to have questions. Other than that, shadows and sun flares just aren't that big of a deal, and any optimizations don't need to be rolled in with the other optimizations we will already be releasing.

Let me know what is decided!
Zini

Post by Zini »

I'll defer to scrawl in regards to what features should be included in 0.37.0. Once scrawl gives the green light, we will give it about a week to wrap things up and then enter the RC phase. That probably means that instance movement in OpenMW-CS will not be included in this release. Sorry for that.

On a related note, scrawl provided the basic OSG code for 3D editing in OpenMW-CS. Since our editor is almost finished with the exception of 3D editing, that is what we should focus about in 0.38.0.

I need to go over the whole concept again to check where exactly we stand. There may be some pieces of infrastructure missing for the implementation of the 3D editing features. I'll report back about that next week.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Three cheers to Zini and Scrawl for being generally awesome! :o

So who's hosting the 1.0 release party? ;)
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote:So who's hosting the 1.0 release party? ;)
If people want to fly to 'Murica, I'll host it. :)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I'd go to that! :D
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Two down, two more to go.

- Sun flare
- OpenCS object selection in the scene window
- Terrain optimizations
- Water shader, minus underwater fog in refractions
Terrain optimizations: Do we get worse performance overall than with OGRE (on said low spec boxes)?
Yes indeed. Don't remember exactly, but it was something like 7 fps vs. 20 fps.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Awesome. Thanks, Scrawl! Which do you expect to be more time consuming; water or terrain? Maybe do the simpler one first, so that it's in the daily builds so that folks are testing it and then work on the more complicated and slower going one.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

scrawl wrote:Two down, two more to go.

- Sun flare
- OpenCS object selection in the scene window
- Terrain optimizations
- Water shader, minus underwater fog in refractions
Hahaha, you saw us pushing for a release so you decided to do them all yourself, eh? 8-)