Ashes of Apocalypse

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Havoc

Re: Ashes of Apocalypse

Post by Havoc »

While making fixes for AoA is a good idea (seeing as you can release OpenMW with a fixed up version), isn't OpenMW meant to be a recreation of MW including all it's weird quirks etc?

That would be best IMO since other mods might rely on those weird bugs to work, and making omwaddons to fix all those mods would be a lot more work than making the engine compatible with them.

Ideally we'd be able to run AoA without a fix addon if OMW was a fully-compatible recreation of MW, along with any other mods that use strange quirks. Although finding all those oddities might be some work, maybe a thread/tracker should be started for people to post any errors they encounter in mods...

Or maybe seeing as OMW is pretty far done now and people are starting to try different mods with it, a board for people to start threads for each mod they find a problem with (ie. a "mod compatibility board") would be useful? Then people can start threads like this one to discuss problems they find, fixes they've made etc.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Did you read the whole thread?

This isn't about getting the AoA to work with OpenMW, although most of the bugs are already fixed. Not all bugs (in Morrowind) will be recreated and AoA had their own bugs that are being fixed now to work around those quirks.

The point is to get AoA free of any Bethesda content so it can be released as a stand-alone game using OpenMW. This also includes adding additional content and further develop AoA further.

In addition to that, one of the main points of OpenMW is to be able to create your own games. So while playing Morrowind is the first priority, it isn't the only priority.
Havoc

Post by Havoc »

psi29a wrote:Did you read the whole thread?

This isn't about getting the AoA to work with OpenMW, although most of the bugs are already fixed. Not all bugs (in Morrowind) will be recreated and AoA had their own bugs that are being fixed now to work around those quirks.

The point is to get AoA free of any Bethesda content so it can be released as a stand-alone game using OpenMW. This also includes adding additional content and further develop AoA further.

In addition to that, one of the main points of OpenMW is to be able to create your own games. So while playing Morrowind is the first priority, it isn't the only priority.
Yes I had a read through it first, and sorry I didn't mean to demean the project in any way, getting AoA free of Bethesda stuff is a good idea.

I was mainly thinking about script related things like the GameTime variable and the PositionCell command not working the same way MW did (but it looks like that's fixed now?) and the fix addon which ideally wouldn't be needed if OMW worked the same way MW does (which I thought was the main goal, so that MW and mods would work flawlessly, I guess I could be wrong though?)
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

You're almost correct, many of the script variables now have default values when OpenMW runs so AoA no longer crashes on that. This also includes the starting location, which is also fixed.

However AoA, version 1.0 and 1.1, out-of-the-box does hang (the scripting part, not the engine) when it encounters a Bounty Hunter class because that doesn't exist in Morrowind nor in OpenMW by default. It, for whatever reason, was left out of the AoA esm as well. We can only assume that, in Morrowind, any class that is referenced but doesn't exist gets filled in by the first class in the list

If you directly reference a class and it isn't any of the default built-in classes, then OpenMW should complain loudly and the mod author should fix their shit. It will make their mod better for both OpenMW and for the original Morrowind. However if someone wants to replicate the original Morrowind behaviour, they are free to do so. :)

From the AoA side of things, this doesn't effect us as we fixed the problem (which also existed in Morrowind but never fixed), by adding the missing class.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Hey envy123... you still around? :)
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

psi29a wrote:Hey envy123... you still around? :)
I'm still active in the modding community. :)

Right now, I'm working on City of Balmora, Black Marsh and a small commercial platformer game so my schedule is pretty full at the moment.

Ashes of Apocalypse had missing classes, and OpenMW doesn't like it. I fixed it by adding the default classes, but if this was to be used as an indie game engine, IMO it shouldn't depend on those classes to work.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Envy123 wrote:Ashes of Apocalypse had missing classes, and OpenMW doesn't like it. I fixed it by adding the default classes, but if this was to be used as an indie game engine, IMO it shouldn't depend on those classes to work.
I've done the same, I released it a few pages back as an attachment for those interested. There are a few other things.

At this point, I plan on doing an inventory of AoA to see what is still Bethesda's and see about replacements.

I know you worked on DR2 which filled in a lot of missing spots and expanded the game world.

Would you be will to release what you've worked on as CC-BY-SA? That way we can get AoA into a more complete state.
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

psi29a wrote:
Envy123 wrote:Ashes of Apocalypse had missing classes, and OpenMW doesn't like it. I fixed it by adding the default classes, but if this was to be used as an indie game engine, IMO it shouldn't depend on those classes to work.
I've done the same, I released it a few pages back as an attachment for those interested. There are a few other things.

At this point, I plan on doing an inventory of AoA to see what is still Bethesda's and see about replacements.

I know you worked on DR2 which filled in a lot of missing spots and expanded the game world.

Would you be will to release what you've worked on as CC-BY-SA? That way we can get AoA into a more complete state.
Yes, I would be happy to, but I don't know the actual process of license transferring. However, I would like to keep IP of my own characters in the mod for future non-hobbyist projects, if that license permits that.

The latest version of the mod is this only download - http://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-region ... l-frontier
It does have GOTY assets so they would need to be replaced beforehand.

And the world building is not the best, I admit. :P
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Envy123 wrote:Yes, I would be happy to, but I don't know the actual process of license transferring. However, I would like to keep IP of my own characters in the mod for future non-hobbyist projects, if that license permits that.

The latest version of the mod is this only download - http://www.moddb.com/mods/desert-region ... l-frontier
Normally, you just have to declare your intentions, either here are in the forums. In your readme file, you make it clear who has done what so attribution can be made. If you would like to retain your IP (characters), then you'll have declare what that is because that wouldn't be according to the CC-BY-SA license, thus it wouldn't go into AoA. You can read about what that means here:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Basically it means that anyone can share and adapt the work, but any additional work has to be under the same license and attribution has to be given to all contributors.

So it is up to you how would like to do this.

I was honestly hoping to fill the gaps missing in AoA such as the quests and storyline that you've put a lot of time into.
Envy123

Post by Envy123 »

psi29a wrote:
Envy123 wrote:Yes, I would be happy to, but I don't know the actual process of license transferring. However, I would like to keep IP of my own characters in the mod for future non-hobbyist projects, if that license permits that.

Normally, you just have to declare your intentions, either here are in the forums. In your readme file, you make it clear who has done what so attribution can be made. If you would like to retain your IP (characters), then you'll have declare what that is because that wouldn't be according to the CC-BY-SA license, thus it wouldn't go into AoA. You can read about what that means here:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Basically it means that anyone can share and adapt the work, but any additional work has to be under the same license and attribution has to be given to all contributors.

So it is up to you how would like to do this.

I was honestly hoping to fill the gaps missing in AoA such as the quests and storyline that you've put a lot of time into.
I give permission for you guys to convert it over to OpenMW and for modders to add new features or expand on it. In the latter case, I would like to be informed about it because I want to play those mods, should they come into fruition. :)

I'm fine with the characters and factions being used for personal use, just not for commercial use.

So, essentially, I agree to the By-SA license except for the "even commercially" part.