modding in general

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
rstevenson1976

modding in general

Post by rstevenson1976 »

I'm a complete noob to the original morrowind as sold by Bethesda, even more so to open mw. but I do know the nexus from playing skyrim. my question is is there any kind of restrictions on what mods I can get from the nexus? anything in each mod's prerequisites I should watch out for? or is the entire nexus my candy store? kinda want to be prepared before hand rather than going nuts with the downloading just to find my game don't work anymore.
SquireNed

Re: modding in general

Post by SquireNed »

rstevenson1976 wrote:I'm a complete noob to the original morrowind as sold by Bethesda, even more so to open mw. but I do know the nexus from playing skyrim. my question is is there any kind of restrictions on what mods I can get from the nexus? anything in each mod's prerequisites I should watch out for? or is the entire nexus my candy store? kinda want to be prepared before hand rather than going nuts with the downloading just to find my game don't work anymore.
OpenMW requires stricter coding than the original Morrowind, and it doesn't have some extensions that were added to the game after release. For the most part, mods *should* just work, but there are some things that won't.

I've found that graphical replacement mods (at least the ones I've used) play nice with OpenMW, as do most things that add new content but not necessarily new gameplay elements (i.e. dungeons, monsters that don't have unique scripts, items that don't have unique scripts). Script-dependent mods (like regenerating mana or alternate level systems) should work if they were built up to spec, but I've found that they often fail non-dramatically (i.e. the game still runs but nothing happens). I've only rarely had OpenMW crash from mods on the stable versions. Dialogue and companions have apparently been problematic for others, but I haven't tested any of those myself.

This page shows what mods have been tested: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Mod_status
AlphaMode2

Post by AlphaMode2 »

I think most esp or esm mods work, so do texture mods (if that's even to be called mods). But mods that require external programs like ".exe" files do not work.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

AlphaMode2 wrote:I think most esp or esm mods work, so do texture mods (if that's even to be called mods). But mods that require external programs like ".exe" files do not work.
Except for .exe installers and the like, which will work fine if you install as if they were going for a normal Morrowind install (most of the time). It's only things which would require you to use another .exe or .dll that would cause issues; such as Morrowind Graphics Extender or Morrowind Script Extender.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

As you will see on the Mod Status page SquireNed pointed to most of the tested mods work as expected or with minor problems, unfortunately less than 10% of mods created have been tested, mainly due to the time it takes to test some more complex mods.

Of the ones listed as not yet working you will see many link to bug reports, so they are in the bug squashing mill that should resolve the problems soonish. Others may need code fixes by the mod creator, if they are still around, many moved on years ago. Once OpenMW-CS gets to a more useable state it should be possible to fix many more problems by correcting the mod if the licensing permits, even if the original author cannot be contacted.

If you are interested in playing OpenMW with mods I would suggest trying one or two that you like the sound of and giving some feedback if they work or not, perhaps filling bug reports if it seems like an OpenMW problem, any help is welcome. Retesting working mods after updates is also useful, sometime a code fix will break something somewhere else.
rstevenson1976

Post by rstevenson1976 »

thank you for all the replies, I have so far tried my hand at texture mods and so far so good I was kinda disappointed about the big sound and texture overhaoul I waited a few hours to successfully get that one downloaded. 2-3 failed attempts and it's 1.7 gb
Azlidor

Post by Azlidor »

MSGO is a fantastic mod/pack. There are multiple users that have gotten it to install and run well with OpenMW so once you get it downloaded there shouldn't be any issues with it :D
AlphaMode2

Post by AlphaMode2 »

SquireNed wrote:
AlphaMode2 wrote:I think most esp or esm mods work, so do texture mods (if that's even to be called mods). But mods that require external programs like ".exe" files do not work.
Except for .exe installers and the like, which will work fine if you install as if they were going for a normal Morrowind install (most of the time). It's only things which would require you to use another .exe or .dll that would cause issues; such as Morrowind Graphics Extender or Morrowind Script Extender.

Oh yeah of course, the installers just add/remove files in the Morrowind directory, I meant the type of exe files that have to run and installs dlls etc. like you said.
sjek

Post by sjek »

with mods it really get's to swing but really recommend creating folders and putting their path to openmw.cfg like data=" ... "

this way you can disable and change the textures on the fly if needed just commenting out the line with #

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43337/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43474/? these ones really makes the world full + town expansions xP

game can take several gigabytes of ram with ogre so mind the content how your comp handles. inherit / easier unloaders is one reason witching to osg.

and like said the outside programs doesn't work as they are meant to interfere with vanilla morrowind code. for grass have to wait for osg / invent / find some property to add walktrought grass although scrawl has his plans for engine included grass with much slower hit than vanilla every grass for every grame.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2066&hilit=grass&start=40

aaand modding programs sure work as good as with vanilla x)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

that pic of the telvanni tower and especially the clouds looks AWESOME!!!!

ST