Ogre 2.0 RC1 posted

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Ace (SWE)

Re: Ogre 2.0 RC1 posted

Post by Ace (SWE) »

The main difference between OSG+Bullet+OpenAL and Delta3D seems to be that Delta3D requires you to have ODE (Open Dynamics Engine, a physics engine), it's listed as one of the three required dependencies for it. The other two being OSG and Xerces-c (A c++ XML parser).

I would say using Delta3D would just lead to code duplication since they're a game engine, and OpenMW is a game engine as well. Better to just use OSG directly.
Though we'll need an ini file loader if we want to keep our ini files, since Ogre provided that part before.
sjek

Post by sjek »

For something same kind as delta but tuned for open world.
http://home.gna.org/cal3d/ animations is used trought osg and image formats
Supported picture formats include .rgb, .gif, .jpg, .png, .tiff, .pic, .bmp, .dds, .tga a quicktime.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSceneGraph
Are good for morrowind combapility what have seen dds, tga, jpg ar least used.

Or how easy it would be to use freeimage (writing new frontend?)
In osg if needed
http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/

For bullet is the api used directly as remember. For nifs theres some inclusion trought ogre but would need loader rewrite anyway for osg. Opendynamics seem to be missing soft body and such according to fast speak at wikipedia front. It might be, little faster as target is simulation rather than comprehensive physics movie but lacking features as such.

Openscenegraph 3.0 beginner guide is good. Basic framework looks simpler than in ogre. (Newbie standpoint)
Spoiler: Show
greye

Post by greye »

sjek wrote:Openscenegraph 3.0 beginner guide is good. Basic framework looks simpler than in ogre. (Newbie standpoint)
Things has been changed quite a bit since. OpenSceneGraph is okay, still requires good knowledge of OpenGL internals to use it properly. It is really just a scene graph wrapper around OpenGL api.
dteviot

Post by dteviot »

Ace (SWE) wrote:Though we'll need an ini file loader if we want to keep our ini files, since Ogre provided that part before.
That is not a problem. We have at least two other ini file loaders.
One in mwiniimporter (based on C++ STL) and one in the launcher (based on QT).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Though we'll need an ini file loader if we want to keep our ini files, since Ogre provided that part before.
Actually I already rewrote that two weeks ago, before ditching Ogre even crossed my mind. The problem was that the Ogre::ConfigFile implementation silently ignored some syntax errors and corrupted the contents instead.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

scrawl wrote: Actually I already rewrote that two weeks ago, before ditching Ogre even crossed my mind. The problem was that the Ogre::ConfigFile implementation silently ignored some syntax errors and corrupted the contents instead.
Ah, I must've missed that. I guess we don't use Ogre much at all then, except for its rendering itself.