Observations on 0.34

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Observations on 0.34

Post by psi29a »

matthewfarmery wrote:I'm talking about the 0.35RC, I used the latest build from ACE's post, so the none spawning issue I have seen in 0.35,
Fix your title topic of this thread please. :)
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

Ohj I see the confusion now, I'm not the topic starter, ghales is. I just jumped onboard to leave some feedback on what I have seen so far.

hope that clears things up.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

My .mistake, i too thought you meant 0.34 and your thread. ;)
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

psi29a wrote:My .mistake, i too thought you meant 0.34 and your thread. ;)
np, these things happen. 8-)
ghales

Post by ghales »

Hey! What's going on here? You are supposed to change the subject when you threadjack. :lol:
Did you mean to name your thread "observations on 0.35?
I am using 0.34 from the OpenSuse repository put together by OpenSUSE_user1. I am not sure what version it really is, and it could very well include patches from the 0.35 development branch.
Last edited by ghales on 11 Feb 2015, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
ghales

Post by ghales »

So, I timed some ranged spells over the same distances in Morrowind and OpenMW. Standing by the front door of the armor merchant in Balmora and shooting across the plaza, my Ring of Lightning took about 4.5 seconds in Morrowind and 5.5 seconds in OpenMW to hit the city gates. I repeated the test out in the country and I got a half second difference.

My gut feel was that the difference was larger. I am not sure this is worth worrying about.

Could spell speed be related to frame rate? OpenMW runs more slowly in cities and is closer to Morrowind under Wine out in the country. This might be what causes the slight diff.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

ghales wrote:So, I timed some ranged spells over the same distances in Morrowind and OpenMW. Standing by the front door of the armor merchant in Balmora and shooting across the plaza, my Ring of Lightning took about 4.5 seconds in Morrowind and 5.5 seconds in OpenMW to hit the city gates. I repeated the test out in the country and I got a half second difference.
So that's why I always thought that some spells moved slower in OpenMW but when I compared it with vanilla Morrowind (I didn't measure the time, just played the game and used some spells) I didn't find much of a difference. :mrgreen:
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

after testing the latest nightly build from ACE's links, I can confirm that monsters do now respawn once more, making morrowind a more dangerous place to travel around in. So that issue is now fixed.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

I know that OpenMW is supposed to behave just the same as vanilla MW minus bugs, but I would actually like to see a different spawning behavior. In vanilla MW enemies whose corpses have been disposed of respawn as soon as you leave and re-enter the cell or when resting (though that is alright - resting in dungeons and outside can and should be dangerous), while others respawn only after their corpses have been deleted by the game on its own - the before-mentioned 72 hours. I think it makes much more sense for respawn time to be independent of corpse disposal - after all, that gives the player a way to influence spawning behavior, which doesn't really make sense. So if this does not fit the goal for 1.0 I hope that there will be different spawning behaviors in later versions.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Pherim wrote:In vanilla MW enemies whose corpses have been disposed of respawn as soon as you leave and re-enter the cell or when resting (though that is alright - resting in dungeons and outside can and should be dangerous), while others respawn only after their corpses have been deleted by the game on its own - the before-mentioned 72 hours.
Because the purpose of the "Dispose of Corpse" option is to force-delete the object instance from the game world, so that it's no longer "remembered" by the game state (kind of like a forced actor reset). It was a workaround to save memory and reduce save bloat since it would no longer be tracked. If you don't need or want that behavior, you can just not use that option.