Compatibility with MGSO

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
PeterBitt

Re: Compatibility with MGSO

Post by PeterBitt »

Why is MW community partially so afraid of new stuff? Why wouldnt we want to take the opportunity and remake those important MWSE mods in a proper manner for OpenMW? I and Logitech for example are almost done with one rather huge sound and music mod, heavily dependant on MWSE. But Logitech will be happy to make use of the shiny new possibilities and turn our giant scripting hack into something really properly done.
In my mind its even better to simply not support any MWSE, MWE, MGE or whatever hackish mods whatsover. It might force people to remake those wich is badly needed if I look at that NPC adding mod, that NPC shedule mod or the one that allows NPCs to change cells. All those have massive downsides and feel wonky as hell, and could be made playable using OpenMW possibilities!

I am propably a bit extreme with that opinion, but in my mind I would still love OpenMW if it had no vanilla MW mod compatibility whatsovever. People tend to forget how good this game is in its vanilla state.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I kinda agree with PeterBritt here in principle. People are afraid of change and at some point you just kinda have to force their hand. But I don't know if that point is now. Perhaps some kind of planned obsolence would be in order?
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

It's not about being afraid of change at all. It's about going back to the mods you love. Sure, you and Logitech may be willing to update your mods, you're obviously still actively developing, though. But there are probably hundreds of modders who haven't even touched Morrowind in years and don't know about openmw. Who is going to go back and update their mods? Obviously most mods won't need to be updated as they just require vanilla content--I'm sure there are a few that will be missed, though.

p.s. a couple of examples for MGE mods are a telescope mod that allows for zooming and a helmet mod that makes it look like you're looking through the face of whatever helmet you have equipped.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

What are the possibilities of a "OpenMWSE/OpenMWGE" mod that would replicate the needed features. I totally get why Zini would want to get away from those hacks, but I don't see the problem if someone else were to re-introduce those hacks back for the sake of legacy support.
Mordicus

Post by Mordicus »

I did not find a clear answer about animated grass and OpenMW. Will OpenMW v1.0 support it? Or future releases? Any chance to integrate MGEXE in OpenMW engine?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Mordicus wrote:I did not find a clear answer about animated grass and OpenMW. Will OpenMW v1.0 support it? Or future releases? Any chance to integrate MGEXE in OpenMW engine?
Did not read through this thread now, but as stated a lot of times, MGEXE will never ever be supported. It's simply not needed, because the functions it adds could just be added natively to OpenMW.

Animated grass will be integrated if someone makes it for openmw. That's the beauty of it, you are free to do it. Now I'm not a dev, but I assume there are other graphics features that are more important that will be implemented before animated grass will.
sjek

Post by sjek »

Have tried replaced grass mod and it woeks with esp turned on without colliding. Only question would be is the animated bones collidable or not? If not the making is kinda traighforward.

Automatic placement could handled via opencs if it just taking the terrainlevel and placing the grass with algorithms
Slissith

Post by Slissith »

In my opinion compability with MWSE and MGSO would be minimally productive, especially since OpenMW aims to gradually render both of them irrelevant post 1.0.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Mordicus wrote:I did not find a clear answer about animated grass and OpenMW. Will OpenMW v1.0 support it? Or future releases? Any chance to integrate MGEXE in OpenMW engine?
There is already one grass mod on the mods wiki page, the fixed bug report gives more details but I do not know if it is the mod you are referring to. If you mean another one you could test it and file a bug report if it does not work, a single bug is likely to be quicker fixed than trying to implement all of MWSE and MGSO for the reasons Slissith has noted.
sjek

Post by sjek »

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-13-12004 morrowind grass mod was in the wiki and shows all green. glitch was about texture rendering would guess.

did some testing.

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-53-12006 morrowind grass for bitter coast works as intended

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-53-4195 geonox detailed grass have some nif magic to make the rotation work without collision box

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-53-13914 vurt's groundcover is blocking the movement without the mge animating as in vanilla.

some of those .?
Tarius wrote:In regards to the grass, it shouldnt be that hard to adapt either the grass mods or OpenMW to that. Grass is kinda considered a 'special case' type of model in that once add it, you turn off the esp for it. It basically leaves the grass as 'phantom' in game, you can see it, but its not really there. I would say it should be a simple matter to add an option in the CS that makes a model specifically count as grass and takes the appropriate steps for it.(well not simple per say, but relatively straight forward)
how that mge is doing that exactly?

for the animated grass in general simplest way could be implement collision box toggle post 1.0 whitch would make the original problem (guessing hardcoded animation groups + collision boxes and such) go away entirely.

as of MGEXE the shaders and such can be directly coded to engine as much as ogre got muscles for it, which are partially already done. for that the MGSO would need it's lightning ini / openmw own settings adjusted but otherwise should work as it's majorly graphical pack. ability to write your own shaders would be a welcome bonus of course.