Promoting on Nexus Mods

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
nwah

Promoting on Nexus Mods

Post by nwah »

I was thinking that it might be a good idea for 1.0 and maybe for beta releases to publish OpenMW as if it were a "mod" on there, to increase visibility since many people only check the Top Recently Endorsed mods page.

Also, we should contact Dark0ne and see if there's any way to integrate OpenMW more into the site. Maybe he could create an OpenMW-compatible indicator or category, and other subtle ways to encourage adoption.

Dark0ne has put OpenMW release news on the front page of Morrowind Nexus in the past, so I'm sure he'd be open to helping.
raevol

Re: Promoting on Nexus Mods

Post by raevol »

Anyone have experience or a connection with Nexus Mods? I know I have never used it...
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

I've used it a bit, it's a pretty good site. If we ant to get a new wave of morrowind mods going, that's the place that'll be hosting them, so having some integration there would be really good imo.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

In fact, Nexus supports all games, apparently. An OpenMW-nexus may be possible.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

There is the Nexus Mod Manager for installing mods off the site:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/modmanager/?

It's Windows only, so maybe it would be a nice idea if OpenMW had its own Nexus Mod Manager built in, of course only for Morrowind. On the other hand, that would mean a component of OpenMW would be tied to a 3rd party website.
lysol

Post by lysol »

HiPhish wrote:There is the Nexus Mod Manager for installing mods off the site:

It's Windows only, so maybe it would be a nice idea if OpenMW had its own Nexus Mod Manager built in, of course only for Morrowind. On the other hand, that would mean a component of OpenMW would be tied to a 3rd party website.
Isn't nexus mod manager open source? Maybe some one could make a Linux version..?
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

HiPhish wrote:There is the Nexus Mod Manager for installing mods off the site:

In order for that to be possible, Nexusmods would need to both (1) give permission for anyone to programatically download mods from their website, and (2) have a public, documented API for doing so. I don't believe either (1) or (2) is true.
sjek

Post by sjek »

basically is the file structure of nexus files always the same .?

would guess that they do it being only middlehand delivering and registerin or they have also the compression program functions. as of mods the directory structure would need to be saved and little modifying and extract to datafiles folder + if system permissions are allowed check for existing files or that as copy paste when OS would automatically check in windows. would that need temp folder somewhere.

would it be easiest to check the links in esp --> nif --> dds files if anything / something automatical maybe. there's that multiple datafolders chance what could be used.

edit: as of open source dunno they use system permissions anyhow.

not open API. that means cannot script more functions ?
source seems to be lot of frontend and file handling in general and the sortin system could be in those cranchs but for exampla in morrowind build file Morrowind.csproj is includes

Include="..\Commanding\Commanding.csproj">
Include="..\UI\UI.csproj">
Include="..\GamebryoBase\GamebryoBase.csproj">
Include="..\ModManager.Interface\ModManager.Interface.csproj">
Include="..\NexusClient.Interface\NexusClient.Interface.csproj">
Include="..\Util\Util.csproj">
http://sourceforge.net/p/nexusmodmanage ... Morrowind/

other codes in directories are kinda openly documented
lysol

Post by lysol »

I just based it off of this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/modmanager/?

Edit: nevermind.
Last edited by lysol on 08 Jan 2015, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
sjek

Post by sjek »

no problemos :)
Bandidos ar alwas some-ere y know .p