Development update news

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
scrawl

Re: Development update news

Post by scrawl »

Time for another changelog summary, this time for week 3 and 4 of december.

Didn't get everything done that I wanted to, I guess we can blame the time of the year, to an extent. Still, I got to implement a good chunk of the remaining 1.0 features, and polishing efforts are also ongoing. The influx of bug reports has slowed down a little, but I did find plenty of issues myself to make up for it. At this stage, there are typically about 5-7 related or unrelated fixes going in for every feature that is added.

As for the bugs fixed, as always I can't list them all, but I will mention two prominent ones:
- Bug #1648: permanent magic effects from equipment were not being stored in the savegame. Most notably this caused problems when saving and reloading the game and using the popular "permanent magic resistance + boots of blinding speed" exploit/feature.
- Bug #1192: Standing on top of a creature (intentionally or unintentionally) is no longer possible. I'm going to quote DigitalPhantom on the impact of this bug:
I 'unintentionally' led a rat into Fort Moonmoth (...) and almost fell out of my chair laughing as four guards dog-piled on it and proceeded to beat each other bloody. They eventually were victorious (took about 10 minutes or so).
The script functions to modify leveled lists have been added. One problem with these functions in the original game is that they cause a copy of the leveled list to be added to the user's savegame (instead of just the changes), so from that point on any changes done to that leveled list by mods will be overwritten. I chose to replicate this approach (for now), so we will have the same problem in OpenMW. The problem actually affects leveled list changes done by mods as well, an edit to a leveled list always adds the complete list to the content file. So for a clean fix that addresses the "multiple mods" use case as well, we need to change the ESX file format first. See also my answer to a user's question whether OpenMW can merge leveled lists.
So, with these out of the way, it looks like we have all script functions implemented, except for functions that were broken in the original game or are only used for debugging purposes. Commence the testing of more mods!

The crime system has been overhauled, it now includes disposition changes, and victim reactions should very closely match the original engine. If you still see anything in this department that isn't 100% the same, then please raise a bug report!

The missing hotkeys for cycling the equipped weapon/spell have been implemented. That means all controls from the original game are now added; another category we can strike off the list. Nice!

You may have noticed that the local map in OpenMW looks a lot more detailed than in the original engine. On the one hand this is nice, but I just noticed that rendering the map is one of the loading bottlenecks when transitioning between cells. I've reduced the map resolution so it now looks like in the original engine. On my machine this reduced the cell transitioning time by ~1.5 seconds. I'm not sure if our loading times are on par with the original game yet, but nonetheless this is a great improvement. If you'd like to have the more detailed map back, there is now a newly added setting in the config file for this purpose.

We have the head tracking for NPCs in place now, which means they will turn their head to follow the nearest actor. Hopefully this makes them seem a little less robotic. I might do more tweaking on it later, but I think it looks as good as in the original game already.

When the player is resting, waiting or otherwise passing time, NPCs will now actually do something, that is, wandering NPCs will randomly appear somewhere else and traveling NPCs will instantly reach their destination.

You may have heard in a previous release video that all magic effects had been implemented. As it turns out, that wasn't strictly true, we were still missing a side effect of the "Calm" spell. In addition to reducing the "Fight" rating of the affected actor, it will now also cancel any fights that the actor was already involved in.
raevol

Post by raevol »

All hail scrawl, king of the mudcrabs!

Seriously though, thank you so much for all of your hard work on OpenMW!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Great progress man!

How is the cash-flow and food-to-plate going?

Not entirely related to OpenMW, how is MyGUI going?

Do we still have the issue where the BOM is prefixed to the layout files during export? What is the status there?

I know there is a bug being tracked for future on MyGUI improvements. What kind and what still needs to be done?
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

Thank you for the update, this time it even contained some stuff that I missed when browsing github and the bug tracker :mrgreen:
scrawl wrote:The influx of bug reports has slowed down a little, but I did find plenty of issues myself to make up for it.
Yes, I didn't have time to test OpenMW during the last couple weeks, but will get back to it soon ;)
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

So, what's the config setting for the more detailed local maps?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Sslaxx wrote:So, what's the config setting for the more detailed local maps?
Added to the wiki.
ahti

Post by ahti »

Thanks for the update!
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

psi29a wrote:Do we still have the issue where the BOM is prefixed to the layout files during export? What is the status there?
I've studied this a lot... know way more about streams, buffers, locales, facets, unicode standard than I ever wanted to know...
There is no issue with the BOM, it's just that it's inconsisent. Some files have no BOM (implied UTF-8) and some have explicit UTF-8 BOM. For some reason, your and my systems handle building packages differently - one of our two systems are stripping the explicit BOMs from either the tarball or from the git branch (but not the other). Next release we can work on debugging it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

maqifrnswa wrote:
psi29a wrote:Do we still have the issue where the BOM is prefixed to the layout files during export? What is the status there?
I've studied this a lot... know way more about streams, buffers, locales, facets, unicode standard than I ever wanted to know...
There is no issue with the BOM, it's just that it's inconsisent. Some files have no BOM (implied UTF-8) and some have explicit UTF-8 BOM. For some reason, your and my systems handle building packages differently - one of our two systems are stripping the explicit BOMs from either the tarball or from the git branch (but not the other). Next release we can work on debugging it.
What I find weird is that I import the source release (tarball from github) into the debian repo without problems and even compile with pbuilder with no complaints. I even then upload the resulting orig and change to our PPA and it builds without a problem.

So I just don't understand why it breaks for you. :/