So what exactly can OpenMW do at this point?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
panzerdakkan

So what exactly can OpenMW do at this point?

Post by panzerdakkan »

I was wondering if the exsting material can be used as a kind of 'overlay' for the existing engine. My concerns are more toward optimization and thought that maybe the new code could be used without a 1.0 release.
cc9cii

Re: So what exactly can OpenMW do at this point?

Post by cc9cii »

panzerdakkan

Post by panzerdakkan »

cc9cii wrote:More info here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2605
I looked that over but didnt really get the answer I was looking for, so optimization is on the list but not being worked on? Any indication as to when that might be done?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Download it for yourself and find out. ;)

If I had to put a % on it, 80% feature complete. You can play the game through with its two expansions and you might hit a bug or two but the game should be completable. It also looks better than the original without mods. ;)
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Additionally Io would add that a lot depends on what system you use to play on, I have no real need for optimisations as it runs consistently smooth and fast for me but I know some people find it almost unplayable. I thiink the biggest problems are with windows systems but that might just be prejudice.

In any case the best option is to install it and see how it goes for you, you might be happily surprised.
panzerdakkan

Post by panzerdakkan »

Tinker wrote:Additionally Io would add that a lot depends on what system you use to play on, I have no real need for optimisations as it runs consistently smooth and fast for me but I know some people find it almost unplayable. I thiink the biggest problems are with windows systems but that might just be prejudice.

In any case the best option is to install it and see how it goes for you, you might be happily surprised.
To be perfectly honest, i dont know how to use it... xD
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

It is really simple

Go to the download page.
Download the executable for the OS you have on your computer (windows mac or linux).
run "omwlauncher" and add the link to the original esm file you got for the morrowind you own.
Start to play
panzerdakkan

Post by panzerdakkan »

Cramal wrote:
It is really simple

Go to the download page.
Download the executable for the OS you have on your computer (windows mac or linux).
run "omwlauncher" and add the link to the original esm file you got for the morrowind you own.
Start to play
Do you have a link, because I dont see the windows download anywhere...
raevol

Post by raevol »

panzerdakkan wrote:Do you have a link, because I dont see the windows download anywhere...
https://openmw.org/downloads/