Playthrough observations

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
lef42

Re: Playthrough observations

Post by lef42 »

scrawl wrote: Should be fixed by pull 274.
Sweet jesus i can jump :")
raevol

Post by raevol »

scrawl wrote:Should be fixed by pull 274.
I'll keep an eye out for it.
raevol

Post by raevol »

raevol wrote:3- We've got that bug where stationary NPCs slowly migrate as the time (save/loads?) goes by. Was this fixed in the data file patches that I don't have applied? Or is this something we need to fix in the code?
So the attached happened. Pretty sure our migrating code drowned this NPC and then I use the "ra" command and now the corpse is suspended in the air.
Attachments
drowned.jpg
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

I have to agree with raevol with regards to the moving actors issue. This happens a lot in vanilla and it's not something that should be considered a "feature" or intentional, as it clearly has some detrimental effects to extended gameplay.

Silt Strider caravaners will end up falling off their perches, NPCs will end up in bodies of water, the dancers in Suran will end up getting stuck in the corners of the room or in the crowd, and rarely, Vivec can even end up away from the center of the room, or facing the wrong direction.

Reset Actors usually fixes these problems, however, one shouldn't have to worry about manually fixing the position of NPCs during gameplay, that's something the game should take care of for you, so this stuff doesn't happen in the first place.
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

I guess it's right to consider this a bug... And in interiors they almost always end up standing in doorways.

Using RA is not always a good solution and can lead to problems during certain quests. And I got the feeling that, the more often you reset them, the faster they move back to the false position.
ezze

Post by ezze »

it is really hacky, but what calling a ResetActors on loading a cell if it has been visited more than one week of game time before?
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

In the original game that could cause problems when you have an NPC following you. Unless this is handled in a different way in OpenMW, I wouldn't do that.
ezze

Post by ezze »

And also if you visit a place rarely it would look weird that all actors are in exactly the same spot... A better solution is needed.
Gramblosh

Post by Gramblosh »

ezze wrote:And also if you visit a place rarely it would look weird that all actors are in exactly the same spot...
I don't think that would be so bad since most NPCs do that anyway. But yes, a better mechanism would be cool, just to reset those who are meant to stay in the exact same position and leave out those who are meant to wander around like guards, normal citizens and such.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I am assuming that once we get the editor fleshed out, that you'll see newer versions of the morroind enhancements for NPCs such as the scheduler (people walking around in town and going in and out of various doors for stores and homes, and going to thier house and going to bed - locking up thier doors when its night), LGNPC, and other great ideas to make NPCs less static. Can't wait to see what happens

ST