[Windows 8] Black screen after loading screen, no intro vids

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
venoMantis

[Windows 8] Black screen after loading screen, no intro vids

Post by venoMantis »

OpenMW version 0.32

As the title says, this bug is on Windows 8. It seemingly works fine on other computers, but the fact that it's Windows 8 might not be the cause.

First, I start OpenMW and it outright skips the intro video (you know, the "Bethesda Softworks" one). After that, the game does its loading and starts playing the main menu music. The screen just remains black at that point, presumably permanently (left it for half an hour, got nothing).

Given the fact that the main menu is playing a video alongside the menu buttons it may be a bug involving the Bink video player and Windows 8. Just a guess.

I have my settings set on Direct3D9, Vertical Sync enabled, fullscreen enabled, 2x MSAA and 1920x1080 resolution. I attempted switching from fullscreen to windowed mode and Direct3D9 to OpenGL with no luck.
cc9cii

Re: [Windows 8] Black screen after loading screen, no intro

Post by cc9cii »

32 or 64 bit? Is this on a desktop with a relatively recent graphics card or maybe an old laptop?
boco45

Post by boco45 »

I am experiencing the same problem. While openmw was running I went to the log that is running in the background and found that openmw could not locate the .dds files for the menu. (win 8.1 32bit)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I went to the log that is running in the background and found that openmw could not locate the .dds files for the menu
Most likely you haven't selected "Yes" when the launcher asked to import settings from Morrowind.ini, which is required for a proper functioning install (see the warning in that dialog).
Try deleting the launcher.cfg file from your config file path (https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Paths), then start the launcher again and make sure to import the ini.
boco45

Post by boco45 »

it worked :D
thank you