Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
HeadClot

Re: Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Post by HeadClot »

Greendogo wrote:Maybe we'll have to make OpenMW only function with a keyboard and mouse or joystick attached with no touchscreen controls? Like on the Ouya or something.
I would be able to help out with testing on the OUYA!

I have one :D
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

sandstranger wrote:I was afraid of this, I got a message from Bethesda that project openmw on android must be closed, so I finally close project openmw for android
Hey SandStranger - Take a short break from developing for OpenMW if you need to. :)
You have dealt with allot. Also like others have said -

1. Bethesda has no jurisdiction over the OpenMW project or your android port of OpenMW. We have written the code from the ground up and use open source libraries. Not their tools. Same with you if I recall.

So take a deep breath and calm down. :)

Everything is going to be OK.

- HeadClot
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Topic is temporary locked - It will be unlocked if Zini, or psi29a will get any new information about current situation.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Thank you lgro, I think in the interest of cutting down on the noise we'll keep this thread locked for the time being. If you wish to discuss it, please join #openmw on irc.freenode.net .

We've still not heard anything back from Matt.

I've written him today, with Zini in CC, that we're waiting for his reply because it is important to the future of OpenMW.

We've explained what OpenMW is and is not, how it works and the nature of the license. We've also explained that non-PC (we're assuming this mean anything not i386, not just Windows) support has been in for years. We also explained that what other people do with OpenMW is out of our hands, aside from the fact that they must publish their code per the GPL.

We've asked what exactly worries Bethesda about OpenMW. Are these worries legal in nature and if we can work around them in some way. We wish to be on good terms with Bethesda, but not in a way that compromises our goal for being fully cross-platform.

At this point, we don't know much. Just that someone(s) are worried about OpenMW enough to want to contact us about it.

In the mean time, we've not been idle either. Development continues as usual.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I guess I spoke too soon! We got a reply back from Matt.

This is his reply to us:
Matt Grandstaff wrote: I'm relaying the information you guys have provided to our folks for feedback. I’ll let you know if there’s any follow up items. I fully understand you guys do not distribute Morrowind and let folks know they need to have a legal copy of the game.
I've asked him to follow up with us even if there aren't any follow up items. I also jokingly said that I hope 'folks' meant developers and wasn't an euphemism for lawyers. So far our exchanges haven't really been about anything of a legal nature, but more like trying to understand what OpenMW is. I think in the beginning they thought OpenMW was a mod, which seems to be a common misconception.

I also politely asked if there was a way that the Beth blog could interview Zini as a passionate fan who has poured his blood, sweat and tears into Morrowind and it's modding community. :)
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

We're on a roll today folks:
Matt Grandstaff wrote:Yes, I’ll be in touch as soon as I have feedback to share.

There’s always the possibility of an interview at some point… pretty swamped with prepping for PAX and The Evil Within’s launch at the moment.
8-)
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

We got another reply from Matt, I guess at this point we'll unlock the thread and open up for comments and questions.
Matt Grandstaff wrote: Hey guys

Talked with our folks here. Here’s the basic gist.

Where folks would take issue is if the focus of your work is creating an optimized experience of Morrowind on platforms other than PC – be it the Android, a homebrew project on handheld, or some other device. I don’t think this should be an issue because as you guys have described to me, your work is moving in other directions – being able to build an all-new game around the engine. And since the PC is the intended platform for Morrowind, we have no issues how you proceed with the project on that platform.

And we fully understand that based on the architecture of the engine, that Morrowind could be played on other platforms, and there’s not really anything that can be done about that. As that’s the case, we’d simply ask that Morrowind and its assets not be the poster child for your project on other platforms.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thanks and best of luck on the project

Matt
8-)

I'll try post the full email conversation tomorrow.
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Well, that last bit is pretty easy, since U9 Redemption will be the poster child. :D
Anyway, this sounds like good news, congratulations!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Now seems as good a time as any to say this:

I am never, ever going to go through the trouble of even installing OpenMW on a mobile/android device, much less producing any kind of demonstration on such a platform :)

In fact, if I ever get the sense that the focus of OpenMW development has become targeting mobile devices or that such development is detracting from the PC experience, I will have nothing more to do with this project.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Matt Grandstaff wrote:And we fully understand that based on the architecture of the engine, that Morrowind could be played on other platforms, and there’s not really anything that can be done about that. As that’s the case, we’d simply ask that Morrowind and its assets not be the poster child for your project on other platforms.
This is so reasonable it hurts. Much appreciation to Matt and Bethesda, thanks to them for understanding our project!!

Now if they'd just give us some formulas. ;) Or did we get all of them already?