Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
sandstranger

Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 15:34, edited 4 times in total.
Okulo

Re: OpenMW 0.31.0

Post by Okulo »

That's... interesting. On what grounds are they claiming this?
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Are you sure it's Bethesda and not a troll?
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

swick

Post by swick »

Can you paste to conversation here or send a pm?
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
bahamut

Post by bahamut »

sandstranger wrote:Hi there

My name is Matt Grandstaff – I’ the global community lead at Bethesda Softworks. Recently I noticed folks discussing an OpenMW project currently in the works to support phones/tablets – namely Android devices.

We’re big supporters of the mod community – we’ve been amazed by what fans have created on the PC w/ Morrowind in the past 12 years – but we have concerns when the tools (intended for use on a PC) are being used on new platforms, including tablets. This can become a problem on a number of fronts, particularly on the legal side of things.

If you’re not the right person to address this with, perhaps you can point me to the correct person. Or perhaps based on discussion in this forum, the project has already ceased. Long and short of it though, we would like to make sure that modding projects with our modding tools continue to be used for the platform they were intended for, the PC, and nowhere else.

Thank you

Matt Grandstaff
Global Community Lead
Bethesda Softworks
Bethesda being paranoidal again
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Technically, the things he said were entirely incorrect. OpenMW uses neither their modding tools or their software. It's not a "modding project", either. I'd also get someone to verify with Matt Grandstaff (i.e. through a forum PM or Twitter) to be 100% certain this isn't a hoax. I'm also not sure that Matt has the authority to speak for Bethesda on this level, or that he truly understands OpenMW as a project.

Personally, I'd ignore this, but the choice is yours about what to do. Bethesda has pretty much no control over OpenMW; it's independently written and coded and is essentially entirely independent of Bethesda. They can say what they want, but unless someone from OpenMW redistributes Morrowind assets (with the approval of other project members), OpenMW is going to be entirely safe on the grounds of copyright.

EDIT: And, of course, I'm not trying to pressure you to continue work if you don't want to; the amount of abuse you've received is unusually high for all the OpenMW developers, and I don't blame you for wanting a respite.