Do Androids Dream of Electric Bosmer?

Feel free to discuss here about news on our blog
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Do Androids Dream of Electric Bosmer?

Post by lgromanowski »

As mentioned in an earlier newspost, the main quest is now finishable in OpenMW. But there are so many ways to go from here, and one of those is Solstheim. Scrawl pulled a Star Wars and mentioned he had “a bad feeling about this”, but it turned out that any bugs that popped up could be fixed pretty easily… so far. One of our active testers, Bahamut, discovered that the spawn rate of some wildlife was set just a tad too high.

One of the many questions people ask when OpenMW pops up in the conversation is “what does it provide that Morrowind doesn’t?” And yes, of course you can start up the whole spiel about open source software being extremely moddable and whatnot, but here’s something different: What about more platforms? Not only does the team support OpenMW on Linux and OSX, but one of our community members, Sandstranger, has been working on his own side-project. OpenMW on Android! He already has it running, and at the time of writing, he’s working on getting all the terrain to work right. Good luck, sandstranger. We’re all sure it’s going to be awesome.

Morrowind is chock full of scripts, but sometimes they aren’t written as well as they should. Zini gave an example that everyone who has ever used the console in Morrowind should be familiar with. A player can give himself the Fire Bite spell by typing player -> addSpell “fire_bite” in the console. Sometimes, in our travels, we encounter interesting variations on that. For example, player -> addSpell “fire_bite”, 654. What does that 654 mean? Nobody knows. Morrowind would just ignore that unnecessary argument, but OpenMW does read them and says something is wrong with this script. If any of you has an idea what these extra arguments mean, why don’t you join the discussion on this topic? For now these “stray arguments” are worked around now, but it’s not pretty, so if you have anything to add, please do!

And for a few final tidbits, we’ve got a new feature added. A difficulty slider! If you thought Morrowind was just a bit too hard or too easy, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered in that area too. The NPCs will also now properly greet you. As if Fargoth telling you he had the feeling you would become great friends wasn’t creepy enough, all NPCs would continue staring at you as you walked past. That’s no longer the case. Oh yes, and they will blink now, too.

Well, that about wraps it up for this week. See you all next time.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: Do Androids Dream of Electric Bosmer?

Post by lgromanowski »

Rumina

Post by Rumina »

Wow. Congrats on the IGN article. I was never to interested in android support but it's cool to see the project getting more exposure of this sort. Nice work sandstranger.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Well, that was certainly unexpected.

Hi, Internet. Thanks for massively misreporting this event. You'd think that with all the copypasting going on they could've just copypasted the newspost itself...
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Okulo wrote:Hi, Internet. Thanks for massively misreporting this event.
No kidding :roll:
iamtanmay

Post by iamtanmay »

How about running the project through Emscripten instead of gcc ? Its worked for other games quite well. You could then have a web player for Morrowind, that would work on all devices.
lysol

Post by lysol »

iamtanmay wrote:How about running the project through Emscripten instead of gcc ? Its worked for other games quite well. You could then have a web player for Morrowind, that would work on all devices.
... And upload the morrowind content to the Internet? Massively illegal, sorry. :)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I don't think that how it would work in out case, lysol. I think you'd have the files on your device/computer, and run the web page which would access those files.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I've seen a browser-based PSP emulator (didn't work terribly well, but eh) that used files from your own hard-drive. As Greendogo points out, that's more likely how such a thing would be done with Morrowind; imagine the horror of trying to stream assets mid-game on all but the most robust connections.
iamtanmay

Post by iamtanmay »

People, I am not asking for a public release. Of course that is illegal, lol. I just thought it would be awesome if someone who has built OMW, builds it with Emscripten instead of GCC, and maks a video/screenshot of it running in a browser. Its a geek request, xD

I would also like to do it. It would run on a phone or tablet or toaster, as long as it can run a new browser and has the GPU horsepower. If you want to see how it works, google BananaBread - Its a game ported by Firefox. All you do is swap GCC for Emscripten (ECC) as compiler.

I made browser games myself, with streaming terrains. Runs smooth whether data is on server, or local. Models are usually loaded before the game. Terrains are actually really tiny in size. Textures and sounds are the big things, but its less data than a youtube video. Streaming does not lag after the initial loading.

That PSP emulator might have been compiled wrong or something. Google BananaBread for a FPS demo from Firefox.