This + Morrowind Rebirth and Morrowind Overhaul

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
bobbflocka

This + Morrowind Rebirth and Morrowind Overhaul

Post by bobbflocka »

I know that mgso isn't compatible with openmw, but is there a way around that? Or has anybody made a mod that does the same thing and works, or is in WIP? Want to mod it and play it, and 1.0 seems like a year from now :( and yet people have to stress themselves AFTER that to make mods
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: This + Morrowind Rebirth and Morrowind Overhaul

Post by psi29a »

MGSO shouldn't be necessary with OpenMW.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

You're probably thinking of MGE, psi29a. MGSO also includes textures and models and whatnot, which are not included with OpenMW. Which you already know, obviously. :P
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

I dont know much about the processes used. But I know there is one user I ran into on a forum that has actually managed to get MGSO up and running since version 0.29. Only one or two things weren't working from what he mentioned. He made a video demonstrating it here. You can always ask him.

That said, if your goal is simply to play Morrowind for pure enjoyment then you are much better off using the original game and not OpenMW yet. The advantages of OpenMW at this stage are too few compared to the risks and issues you're going to run into. But, on the other hand some seriously thorough bug checking could take place if you do and I'm sure it could help.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Okulo wrote:You're probably thinking of MGE, psi29a. MGSO also includes textures and models and whatnot, which are not included with OpenMW. Which you already know, obviously. :P
All those crazy acronyms...

I'll be honest, I've never played with plugins in Morrowind (or really, with any game). I'm just content that vanilla is coming to Linux. :P

Anyway, if the mod doesn't do anything crazy (changes the running executable or memory), then it should be supportable.
lysol

Post by lysol »

psi29a wrote:
Okulo wrote:You're probably thinking of MGE, psi29a. MGSO also includes textures and models and whatnot, which are not included with OpenMW. Which you already know, obviously. :P
All those crazy acronyms...

I'll be honest, I've never played with plugins in Morrowind (or really, with any game). I'm just content that vanilla is coming to Linux. :P

Anyway, if the mod doesn't do anything crazy (changes the running executable or memory), then it should be supportable.
The thing is that MGSO (Morrowind graphics and sounds overhaul IIRC) includes a mod called MGE, as okulo mentioned. MGE (morrowind graphics extender) is an exe file you run to, kinda "hackishly", get more modern graphic features to morrowind, for example distant land, more advanced shaders, HDR and so on. For some reason people who run into OpenMW and finds it interesting always want to run MGE with OpenMW, even though it's totally pointless to have a separate program for that in an open source engine and even though these features are so crucial to modern games that they are probably some of the first things we'll see being worked on in post 1.0 OpenMW.
bobbflocka wrote:I know that mgso isn't compatible with openmw, but is there a way around that? Or has anybody made a mod that does the same thing and works, or is in WIP? Want to mod it and play it, and 1.0 seems like a year from now :( and yet people have to stress themselves AFTER that to make mods
Soooo. Basically, all the textures and sound mods will work, but the MGE-part of MGSO will not because MGE was written for Morrowind and not OpenMW.. The thing is that MGE won't be needed anyway, and when the features that MGE offers finally comes to OpenMW, it will probably work a lot better since it's featured "out of the box" so to speak. And it will probably be a lot simpler too. You'll just press escape, options and have all the settings there.

But no, this won't happen tomorrow. Patience! It will be worth it in the end. :) I highly doubt it'll be a year until 1.0 though. My guess would be a few months. But remember that 1.0 only means feature complete...
SwissCM

Post by SwissCM »

Technically OpenMW already has a basic version of distant land and vastly improved shadows, as well as support for more advanced textures (parallax, normal mapping etc). It has the potential to look far superior to anything MGE could ever do already.
lysol

Post by lysol »

SwissCM wrote:Technically OpenMW already has a basic version of distant land and vastly improved shadows, as well as support for more advanced textures (parallax, normal mapping etc). It has the potential to look far superior to anything MGE could ever do already.
This