OpenMW 0.32.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.32.0

Post by Zini »

As you probably have seen already I am working on the final bits of scripting now. There is only a small number of feature tasks for 1.0 left. We should aim to be feature complete with 0.32.0 or at most 0.33.0. Nothing more to say about OpenMW for now.

Since a significant part of my time will be bound to OpenMW for 0.32.0 I won't be able to do as much work as usual on OpenCS. Well, the old story. We really need more help here.

As usual we should aim for about two month for the 0.32.0 release, but I would happily extend that a bit, if we can get feature complete.
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.32.0

Post by raevol »

Is everyone seeing good performance increases with 0.31.0? I running off the daily build PPA and my exteriors are still pretty choppy. Is anyone planning to do any more optimization work for this next release?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not that I am aware of (volunteers welcome as usual).
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

My exteriors are pretty choppy too. Any optimizations would be welcome!

Zini, can we consider some level of optimization a feature for 1.0? It doesn't seem right to put out a 1.0 release if people have terrible FPS.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote:Zini, can we consider some level of optimization a feature for 1.0? It doesn't seem right to put out a 1.0 release if people have terrible FPS.
Agreed. :( Getting feedback that exteriors are choppy on reddit as well.
Zini

Post by Zini »

There are certainly some more optimisations to be made anyway. Maybe something outside of rendering. And we need to improve batching. These are definitely tasks for 1.0. But I don't expect a huge improvement for Morrowind.esm (for things like Redemption and other more advanced content the batching should make a significant difference).

As I wrote before, we will have to make a difficult decision here. The next OGRE versions should give us a significant boost without us doing much work. But these OGRE versions aren't here yet. On the other hand, if we try to optimise things on our end, we will end up with a lot of nasty stuff that may partially become redundant once we get the newer OGRE versions.

I would like to wait with this decision as long as possible, because waiting may just make it go away (by a new version of OGRE being released that proofs to be sufficient for us).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

If we can optimise along the way, without having to be too crafty (things already be worked on by Ogre3D), then that is a win for us.

However I think it best to keep to adding features and fixing bugs and we'll cross that bridge with Ogre3d when we get to it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:I would like to wait with this decision as long as possible, because waiting may just make it go away (by a new version of OGRE being released that proofs to be sufficient for us).
I understand this reasoning and it seems to be the best approach since wasting resources on redundant work is crazy for us, being a hobby project and all.

If we're going to adopt a wait-and-see approach, however, it would be really nice for us to get a handle on when Ogre's new version is going to come out so we can plan around it.

I think Dark_Sylinc is the only one working on Ogre3D 2.0 right now. Is there any way we could help the Ogre3D team get a working 2.0 out more quickly so we can get a little more control over our own project's 1.0 release?
Zini

Post by Zini »

We contribute back to OGRE occasionally, but I don't think we have the spare resoruces to help out beyond that.
Ascent

Post by Ascent »

Greendogo wrote:My exteriors are pretty choppy too. Any optimizations would be welcome!
I'll second that. But if optimizations would be better done in OGRE, waiting is fine with me.

(Moved rest of post elsewhere.)
Last edited by Ascent on 25 Jul 2014, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.