Complete Playthrough on OpenMW

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SquireNed

Complete Playthrough on OpenMW

Post by SquireNed »

Right now I've started what I tentatively hope will become a full playthrough of OpenMW as well as my first official full playthrough of Morrowind. I'll start with the core game and maybe go back and finish each of the expansions as well.

I'm using nightly build 538aa6607e. The two gameplay things that seem most notably off to me from vanilla Morrowind are the fact that the sound effects seem to be louder than I remember and the fact that foes seem to notice me from an incredibly far distance. There's also that the foes I've encountered don't seem to use magic (or at least not spells that target me), and that the Dark Brotherhood Assassins don't like to open up with a thrown dart like they often used to, giving me a nice 1.2 grand or so every time they fail to kill me, but at least the former is just awaiting feature completion.

So far I've gotten off the boat at Seyda Neen and done a little bit of local sightseeing before heading to Balmora. Once in Balmora, I followed Caius Cosade's first two quests through, getting the Dwemer puzzle cube (which required a tcl at the door, which wouldn't respond to the valve) (which has a graphical issue but works fine) as well as the skull from the crypt south of Pelagiad. As of the time of writing, I'm sitting in Caius' house while he tells me to level up before talking to him again, which means it's time for me to see a trainer.

EDIT: I made it to Vivec, and spoke to Huleeya. This gave me an interesting glitch, but other than needing a tcl once was otherwise fully functional, as it appears that a NPC and player going through a door at the same time (coincidentally, they can do that in the build I'm using) will stack on top of each other, leading me to be stuck while the following NPC sits there waiting for me to do something.

I'll update with pictures of both the stacking issue as well as a scenic shot of the city of Vivec I took upon arrival.
Zini

Re: Complete Playthrough on OpenMW

Post by Zini »

Would you mind filing the differences you find as bug reports (after checking that they aren't already on the tracker)?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Best of luck SquireNed! Keep us updated! Interesting to read your progress.

I was going to do the same, but there's no nightlies for Linux without compiling it yourself, and I am too lazy to do that at the moment... (no one's fault but my own) And the current release build has the issue where mobs duplicate when you save, so my attempt was halted by a swarm of rats and kwama foragers right outside Seyda Need. Was pretty hilarious...
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Zini wrote:Would you mind filing the differences you find as bug reports (after checking that they aren't already on the tracker)?
I've been doing so when I can confirm them with vanilla Morrowind. Most of them are on the tracker already (oops), and stuff like the sound is a little too subjective for me to be certain about, and I'll do some more exhaustive testing on stuff like the DB once I've got my character up to a higher level, especially since my current theory is that the dagger has the substantially better attack than an unenchanted dart.

Here are the pictures, scenery first and then the bug second.

K1ll

Post by K1ll »

raevol wrote:Best of luck SquireNed! Keep us updated! Interesting to read your progress.

I was going to do the same, but there's no nightlies for Linux without compiling it yourself[...]
Well i actually got a nightlies script for my targz packages, but i haven't bothered to hook it up to a cron job (yet). Still you can find the results of my manual invocations here:
ftp://redfortune.de/openmw/nightly/

Have fun with the Playthrough! ^^
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Finished up in Vivec with no more issues, though now I need to level again before Caius will give me the next quest. Averse to using console commands, I'll have to raise the gold for some training (or actually, y'know, adventure) before continuing on.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I actually don't notice any differences between Morrowind and OpenMW. There's a couple small things, such as camera height, that feel a little off but not enough so to be verifiable, and the sound seems to be better today; my ears were really bothering me yesterday (sick plus allergies), so maybe it was me rather than OpenMW.

I'm supposed to be working a lot on my own code (for a supposed June 7th test release), so I'm not necessarily going to be very productive until after that.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I assume you started off the playthrough as every Morrowind player does, by nicking the plate in the census office? It seems you're hidden from all eyes when you're near that case (you can sneak, and icon shows up and everything - so you're unseen when you stand there, despite both the guard and Socucius Ergalla seeing you perfectly find in Morrowind).

I've just went through the bug list and either I have just skipped past it or there's no report on the tracker for it. Do you have anything on that?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Okulo wrote:I assume you started off the playthrough as every Morrowind player does, by nicking the plate in the census office? It seems you're hidden from all eyes when you're near that case (you can sneak, and icon shows up and everything - so you're unseen when you stand there, despite both the guard and Socucius Ergalla seeing you perfectly find in Morrowind).

I've just went through the bug list and either I have just skipped past it or there's no report on the tracker for it. Do you have anything on that?
I didn't take the plate, so I can't really contribute to that discussion. While we're talking about issues, however, what's up with OpenMW's RAM usage? It slowly trickles up as I play, to the point of exceeding 2 GB used. This doesn't trigger gameplay performance hits (I run a pretty uniform ~25-30 fps in exterior cells and ~45-50 in interior cells even as play continues), but eventually it'll crash when I try to load a save. Save/load also takes increasingly long times as the RAM usage increases.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'm going to Let's Play this jank some day.
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

SquireNed wrote:
I didn't take the plate, so I can't really contribute to that discussion. While we're talking about issues, however, what's up with OpenMW's RAM usage? It slowly trickles up as I play, to the point of exceeding 2 GB used. This doesn't trigger gameplay performance hits (I run a pretty uniform ~25-30 fps in exterior cells and ~45-50 in interior cells even as play continues), but eventually it'll crash when I try to load a save. Save/load also takes increasingly long times as the RAM usage increases.
Hiya, I recently had a go at doing something similar. I discovered that after loading a save game a few hours long, OpenMW would crash after 10-15 mins of gameplay. I put it down to crumby hardware, but I imagine that such performance is related to the RAM usage issue listed above.