[Windows 7 64b] problems (can't even start)

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
Tugdual

[Windows 7 64b] problems (can't even start)

Post by Tugdual »

Hi,

I'm facing some problems with OpenMW v0.29.0 (I tried 0.28 before, was the same and I gave up, thinking it was an super early version).
Just after installation I execute omwlauncher.exe
I am prompted for Data Files location so I click [Browse to Install] and from there I pick the location "F:\Game\Steam\SteamApps\common\Morrowind\Data Files\Morrowind.esm".
I am then told that an existing Morrowin configuration was detected. I [Skip] because [Import] crashes.
Now I'm in the main screen with the [Play] button. I ensure that the Current Profile is "Default" (instead of blank).
I switch to "Data Files" using the button on top and select "Morrowind.esm" in the combo box.
Then I press play.
I see very briefly a dark window popping up and then nothing.

Second thing I noticed is an invalid character in the created profile C:\Users\<name>\Documents\My Games\openmw
I'm using an accentuated character 'é' for my profile name and it became '�'. Still I can see launcher.cfg, openmw.cfg and settings.cfg there.

Any idea how to progress from there?
cc9cii

Re: [Windows 7 64b] problems (can't even start)

Post by cc9cii »

Is your windows environment English, or some other language? Is your user game directory something like:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Dad\My Documents\My Games\openmw
I assume OpenMW is installed in the default location, i.e. C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.29.0

If your username ("Dad" in above example) is in unicode (or non-western Europe) then the current version probably won't work. See existing issue here https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1110

If you have that issue, the current master branch has this fixed, as of commit 244eb1
Tugdual

Post by Tugdual »

Hi,
thanks for your support. Please find below some additional information regarding your questions.
cc9cii wrote:Is your windows environment English, or some other language?
English
cc9cii wrote: Is your user game directory something like:

C:\Users\Dad\My Documents\My Games\openmw
Yes, the same (but not Dad...)
cc9cii wrote: I assume OpenMW is installed in the default location, i.e. C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.29.0
No. I have a special hard disk for OS and all the rest is installed into a different disk.
Is that an issue?
cc9cii wrote: If your username ("Dad" in above example) is in unicode (or non-western Europe) then the current version probably won't work. See existing issue here https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/1110
I have an accent in my name but this is definitely western Europe codepage. Now I doubt that MS Windows uses anything else but Unicode on 64bits platforms so I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you recommending I should way for a 0.30 binary?
If you have that issue, the current master branch has this fixed, as of commit 244eb1[/quote]
Zini

Post by Zini »

Now I doubt that MS Windows uses anything else but Unicode on 64bits platforms so I'm not sure what you mean here.
This made me laugh.
Are you recommending I should way for a 0.30 binary?
More like 0.31.0. Unicode support for paths on Windows was broken until recently and the fix didn't came in time to make it into 0.30.0.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Tugdual wrote:
cc9cii wrote: I assume OpenMW is installed in the default location, i.e. C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.29.0
No. I have a special hard disk for OS and all the rest is installed into a different disk.
Is that an issue?
No (unless the path has unicode characters).
Tugdual wrote: I have an accent in my name but this is definitely western Europe codepage. Now I doubt that MS Windows uses anything else but Unicode on 64bits platforms so I'm not sure what you mean here.
The trouble isn't that Windows doesn't use unicode (although Zini might have a different take on that ;-) ) we didn't do unicode for Windows till very recently.

Maybe a different perspective: Windows has a rather complicated way of doing things (code pages, UTF-16 and what have you) while other platforms have a more straight-forward way that kinda just works (and it so happens that almost all of the openmw devs are on non-windows platforms - that probably doesn't help us Windows users :-( ).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Windows has a rather complicated way of doing things (code pages, UTF-16 and what have you) while other platforms have a more straight-forward way that kinda just works
That is exactly what I meant with my statement.
Tugdual

Post by Tugdual »

Well, if there is no other option then see ya on 0.31...
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

Tugdual wrote:Well, if there is no other option then see ya on 0.31...
There is another option! :) Download the latest windows nightly build, available here:
http://ace.haxalot.com/projects/OpenMW/ ... d.php?list

Hopefully your issue will then be resolved. Although the nightlies are not officially released versions of OpenMW, they are usually pretty stable (and contain all the latest code updates).
Tugdual

Post by Tugdual »

Tolchock wrote:
Tugdual wrote:Well, if there is no other option then see ya on 0.31...
There is another option! :) Download the latest windows nightly build, available here:
http://ace.haxalot.com/projects/OpenMW/ ... d.php?list

Hopefully your issue will then be resolved. Although the nightlies are not officially released versions of OpenMW, they are usually pretty stable (and contain all the latest code updates).
Oh thank you for that!! Much much better indeed. I can now import settings and start a game. I could also see that the directory issue is now completely gone.
Unfortunately it crashes while playing the initial Bethesda video (with rolling squares).

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	openmw.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	538001d0
  Fault Module Name:	avcodec-54.dll
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

That's a known problem which will get fixed in the Windows Nighty Build when Ace comes back from his mother's birthday celebration sometime later this week.

You can try renaming "Bethesda Logo.BIK" to something else like "Bethesda Logo_temp.BIK" so that OpenMW skips playing it. When the video issue is corrected later, you can rename it back to "Bethesda Logo.BIK".