Multiplayer?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tarius

Re: Multiplayer?

Post by Tarius »

BrotherBrick wrote:feature-creep and over-engineering...
'nough said.

While I would add in a little more and be a little less conservative compared to how zini is keeping things(and I am not the only one) I think I have to agree that things have been kept on track and that yes adding in too much is a bad thing. The real fun will come once 1.0 is reached and we can bring this up to modern game standards.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I kind of imagine everyone sitting at the ready, waiting for 1.0 to be released... and once it happens, everyone goes absolutely bonkers - scraps of code will fly around the place, projects started and killed, whole areas of Vvardenfell will be transformed, half-baked mods will be released, men will gnash their teeth and women will weep for the chaos that ensues.

As if the release of 1.0 will bring about the next kalpa of Morrowind.
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

Okulo wrote:As if the release of 1.0 will bring about the next kalpa of Morrowind.
I certainly hope so! The potential for adding new content is tremendous. Will it be possible to make separate exterior maps? That is, will we be able to make separate worlds with this engine or how hard would such a system be to implement, more or less?

It would be great fun to bring a friend along for a play through too. In my undoubtedly uneducated opinion, I suspect that multilayer should be implemented in the barest of ways. That is, in order to keep the system as bug free as possible and to work with the existing content of the game, the second character should probably be restricted the same time and cell as the first player and, at least at first, not be allowed to engage in their own separate quest lines. But I do not know any programming, maybe that hunch is wrong.

My question to the programmers here is: How hard would it probably be to implement multilayer in that form :?:
Zini

Post by Zini »

The potential for adding new content is tremendous. Will it be possible to make separate exterior maps?
That is on my to-do list for post 1.0 development. In fact, very close to the top of that list.
how hard would such a system be to implement, more or less?
Not very. I already started to add various bits and pieces that will be part of the necessary groundwork, when we add this feature (probably in 1.1).
That is, in order to keep the system as bug free as possible and to work with the existing content of the game, the second character should probably be restricted the same time and cell as the first player and, at least at first, not be allowed to engage in their own separate quest lines
Same cell, no. That is not necessary. But all players will share quest progress. There is nothing we can do about it. The way Morrowind.esm is written we simply can not have separate quest progressions for the individual players.
How hard would it probably be to implement multilayer in that form :?:
Medium hard, but a shit load of work.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini has spoken... now you guys start spreading the word and crank of the PR engines. :P
ViroGlacia

Post by ViroGlacia »

Yay! :D