BodySlide -customize outfits and bodies without mesh editing

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Logitech

BodySlide -customize outfits and bodies without mesh editing

Post by Logitech »

I'd like to suggest a feature that would be definitely loved by modders and players. BodySlide functionality integrated in OpenCS.
A small program for Skyrim mods that allows custom meshes to be customizable by users.

Uses the .nif file format for input and output.

Designer input involves creating a .nif file containing a base shape and a number of additional shapes. The program calculates the difference between each shape and the base, and outputs a series of vector offet data files.

An xml format definition allows the creator to define a set of sliders that operate on the delta files. A user of the program is presented with a seres of sliders thaallows the final shape to be customized. a single button click then creates the customized mesh and installs it to a directory defined by the app.

for configuration xml processng, utilizs the TinyXML library.
In 12 years of Morrowind modding the community made only 1 body replacer. Creating anything else or editing existing model is considered not worth it due to amount of time it would take to create fitting clothing. No way to customize anything. BodySlide and perhaps OutfitStudio functionality added into OpenCS would drastically improve modding efficiency. Maybe even it could be a first step to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvoausvOL8

This tool is a google code project, required to be open source, under an MIT license. Not sure if v2 is the same branch, but here is the source from google code page: http://code.google.com/p/bodyslide/source/checkout

Any chance for similar functionality added into OpenMW at some point?
Last edited by Logitech on 12 Apr 2014, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
sirherrbatka

Re: BodySlide -customize outfits and bodies without mesh edi

Post by sirherrbatka »

hi, topics of new users have to be approved by the moderators (those damn bots!). I just did that.

Happy forum using!
MacKom

Post by MacKom »

Am I the only one fearing gargantuab00bs in Morrowind? B/C it looks to me like body slide was designed for that (or, to be specific, USED mostly for that). :twisted:

If we`re ever going to have something like that in Morrowind, we need a new skeleton first. Then new body mesh replacers. A new sliders system. Etc...basically, I kinda sorta predict this would take a lot of time to implement, since a whole "infrastructure" has to be created first.
Logitech

Post by Logitech »

it's quite funny that you mention it because what most bother me with the only existing body replacer and compatible clothing mod (Better Bodies, Better Clothes) is huge breast size compared to what we see in vanilla bodies. Either way it is a useful feature for modding.

Of course I'm not suggesting that this OpenCS functionality should have any priority right now, even if the provided source code is easy to implement - there are far more important things, even post 1.0, like enhancements to scripting language and de-hardcodeing everything that is possible.
TheOneWhoWatches

Post by TheOneWhoWatches »

MacKom wrote:Am I the only one fearing gargantuab00bs in Morrowind? B/C it looks to me like body slide was designed for that (or, to be specific, USED mostly for that). :twisted:

If we`re ever going to have something like that in Morrowind, we need a new skeleton first. Then new body mesh replacers. A new sliders system. Etc...basically, I kinda sorta predict this would take a lot of time to implement, since a whole "infrastructure" has to be created first.
About boobs:
I think probability of their appearance in morrowind depends on popularity of MW/OpenMW so it's not entirely a bad thing and it's quite trivial to edit BetterBodies for that purpose =)
To be honest, I've once customized BB to enlarge certain bodyparts and I didn't need sliders for that. ;)
This is also can be done using sliders, and it's somewhat simplier (plus old clothes will fit new body), but it's far from being mostly used for that.

IMHO body and face sliders are almost "must have" for new RPG games, but as MacKom said, Morrowind animation system should be redone from scratch for this purpose.
But on the other hand, Morrowind animation system is a trash IMHO and it begs to be replaced anyway.
It was so in the Better Bodies creation time. My only attempt to merge male and female animations gave me headaches, as I remember...
One question though. Why are you talking about OpenCS? Usually this sort of thing is used in the game at character creation. Although it would be nice to also use it in OpenCS for racial differences...

It would be nice to know in advance if something like this (for example) will be used later to learn it and to be ready. =)
Logitech

Post by Logitech »

One question though. Why are you talking about OpenCS? Usually this sort of thing is used in the game at character creation. Although it would be nice to also use it in OpenCS for racial differences...
I'm a modder so I value OpenCS modding possibilities more than in-game cosmetic changes for Player character. But of course I would also welcome similar functionality for character creation :lol: That is why I posted that link to insane Black Desert customization video.
MacKom

Post by MacKom »

Speaking of body mods, I DO have a sculpt I made sometime ago...It could use more work (as would the male version as well) but all I need is a nice skeleton and sorted out framework/animation system and I can get to retopoing. This way there would be no copyright infringements or whatever, as it would be made from scratch for OMW only.

Buuuut...programming stuff first, artsy stuff later.

ezze

Post by ezze »

MacKom wrote:Am I the only one fearing gargantuab00bs in Morrowind?
It almost seems you imply that buxom is not good, are you insane ;) ? More seriously, I like the idea because in the Elder Scrolls I have the feeling that while the faces are quite different the bodies are too similar each other.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Logitech wrote:it's quite funny that you mention it because what most bother me with the only existing body replacer and compatible clothing mod (Better Bodies, Better Clothes) is huge breast size compared to what we see in vanilla bodies. Either way it is a useful feature for modding.

Of course I'm not suggesting that this OpenCS functionality should have any priority right now, even if the provided source code is easy to implement - there are far more important things, even post 1.0, like enhancements to scripting language and de-hardcodeing everything that is possible.
I was looking for a better body mod for oblivion, and all I could find were huge tits mods :(
Hrawwaaaa

Post by Hrawwaaaa »

MacKom wrote:Speaking of body mods, I DO have a sculpt I made sometime ago...It could use more work (as would the male version as well) but all I need is a nice skeleton and sorted out framework/animation system and I can get to retopoing. This way there would be no copyright infringements or whatever, as it would be made from scratch for OMW only.

Buuuut...programming stuff first, artsy stuff later.

someone should make a Skyrim-animation compatible skeleton and player model and almost all our problems would be solved by already existing user made content for Skyrim. the available stuff - models, animations, and whatnot - that could be utilized is pretty much unlimited.
a slider-based character creation would be the cherry on the cake, although i guess implementing that kind of stuff is a lot of work.