NPC's shouldn't ware what you sold them.

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tarius

Re: NPC's shouldn't ware what you sold them.

Post by Tarius »

silentthief wrote:I think this is a moddable situation, at least I hope it will be. It is a wierd situation that NPCs immediately wear things you sell them, resulting in more than one idea to sell a cursed item and wait until said NPC dies from a permanent -1 health enchantment on a helm (as an example).

ST the NPC scourge
Hey, thats a cool idea, why didnt I think of that haha.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Unfortunately this is a hard coded feature as of now. After 1.0.0 we can always go back and make a change.
Most likely it would be a GMST(game setting) that could be apart of a required openmw.esm
or something.

To coders:
If you have knowledge in c++ you can build your own version to include auto equip on purchase
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Jyby wrote:that could be apart of a required openmw.esm
Wait... is that 'apart from' or 'a part of'? Because how does that work, a "required openmw.esm"? That's for Morrowind, right? Or do you mean an omwaddon or something?
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Okulo wrote:
Jyby wrote:that could be apart of a required openmw.esm
Wait... is that 'apart from' or 'a part of'? Because how does that work, a "required openmw.esm"? That's for Morrowind, right? Or do you mean an omwaddon or something?
Well we could theoretically create an openmw add-on(openmw.esm) that just extends functionality to the code by creating game settings. We could then write these custom game settings into our code:

Code: Select all

gmst = all of our game settings
gmst.find("fOneTimePowerResetDelay")->getTheValue()
This would allow non-coders to create mods and change these settings without writing or recompiling the code.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

It would seem from your description that there would be additional openmw game settings?

Not necessarily a bad thing, just asking for conversation and understanding. Come to think of it, having easy-to-understand game settings (and of course not having the trouble that morrowind had with its "evil GMSTs") would make sense. Something simple like a setting that NPCWearItemPurchases=false means that they would not immediately equip any new items bought, then if that is set the modder could change that or script conditional options for what the NPC wears or equips.

*Most of this is speculation and theory, as I'm not a dev.
ST
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

I'm a new dev and from what I see in the code a lot of functionality is somewhat hardcoded.

With additional game settings we can extend the hardcoded features to modding.

I think we also support mods through script extensions.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

OpenMW will support that post-1.0, we have plans which will allow modders to modify things that are now hard-coded.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

pvdk wrote:OpenMW will support that post-1.0, we have plans which will allow modders to modify things that are now hard-coded.
+1