Compatibility with MGSO

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Compatibility with MGSO

Post by psi29a »

ezze wrote:This means to give up to part of the existing community material. I understand your point, but it seems a pity.
Or not? How many MWSE mod are overthere?
In relation to the community, how big is this 'part'?
ezze

Post by ezze »

That was the question, I never used any extender (the graphic one definitely does not work on Linux, I do not know the script one) so I have no idea.

So, I do not find it a great loss. I just find it a little strange considering how much OpenMW tries hard to be compatible with all the existing content.

Remember when they decided to implement the fact that the scaling factor of game objects is not correctly saved and loaded because some mod used this bug to detect loads and to adapt dialogues? (My grandma reloads less often than you!)

Since OpenMW goes to this extremes, to exclude the script extender sounds strange... That's about it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

ezze wrote:That was the question, I never used any extender (the graphic one definitely does not work on Linux, I do not know the script one) so I have no idea.
The script extender does work in Linux. In fact, the script extender in MGE does too... only certain graphical aspects of MGE don't since it can't generate the distant land in its GUI for some reason (other parts, like the load-up video skipping, the main menu background video, etc, do work).
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

The number of mods that use the script extender is rather small compared to the over all number. In fact, I wouldnt be suprised if it was under 50. Its just that the ones that use it are large or extrememly useful in many cases.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

ezze wrote:That was the question, I never used any extender (the graphic one definitely does not work on Linux, I do not know the script one) so I have no idea.

So, I do not find it a great loss. I just find it a little strange considering how much OpenMW tries hard to be compatible with all the existing content.

Remember when they decided to implement the fact that the scaling factor of game objects is not correctly saved and loaded because some mod used this bug to detect loads and to adapt dialogues? (My grandma reloads less often than you!)

Since OpenMW goes to this extremes, to exclude the script extender sounds strange... That's about it.
Right, I never understood that reasoning, either. Just make it so that it "saves better" than vanilla MW. If the game is saved and loaded seemlessly then nothing should be lost and scripts wouldn't need to know if the game is reloaded at all. They would just continue working. This was a limitation/bug/whatever with vanilla MW that doesn't have to be implemented here at all...

I'm also extremely disheartened about the lack of support for MWSE/MWE mods. What about MGE mods, are those being abandoned, too?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ezze wrote:I just find it a little strange considering how much OpenMW tries hard to be compatible with all the existing content.
Existing vanilla content and content made with vanilla construction set, if I understand correctly.
ezze wrote:Remember when they decided to implement the fact that the scaling factor of game objects is not correctly saved and loaded because some mod used this bug to detect loads and to adapt dialogues?
claudekennilol wrote: Right, I never understood that reasoning, either. Just make it so that it "saves better" than vanilla MW. If the game is saved and loaded seemlessly then nothing should be lost and scripts wouldn't need to know if the game is reloaded at all. They would just continue working. This was a limitation/bug/whatever with vanilla MW that doesn't have to be implemented here at all...
Never heard of this one. But if that's true, that seems very uncharacteristic of OpenMW to me.
claudekennilol wrote:What about MGE mods, are those being abandoned, too?
What's an MGE mod? Animated grass and stuff? I would assume so. I would also assume that OpenCS will eventually provide nicer, cleaner ways to do these sorts of things as proper mods.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

In regards to the grass, it shouldnt be that hard to adapt either the grass mods or OpenMW to that. Grass is kinda considered a 'special case' type of model in that once add it, you turn off the esp for it. It basically leaves the grass as 'phantom' in game, you can see it, but its not really there. I would say it should be a simple matter to add an option in the CS that makes a model specifically count as grass and takes the appropriate steps for it.(well not simple per say, but relatively straight forward)
ezze

Post by ezze »

WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ezze, I see. I would have said that the mods exploiting any bug would just have to be updated or abandoned. But I'm not the project manager.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Unfortunately there is a huge number of content out there (including Morrowind.esm), that depends on all kinds of bugs and misfeatures. In general we can't fix these things by default. But after 1.0 we will add new GMSTs, that allow content files to switch the erroneous behavior off.