Important, original bugs

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
hbrickface

Re: Important, original bugs

Post by hbrickface »

Sorry if I sounded arrogant, I am interpreted that way a lot.
Please take pity on my request. Someone please put it in the features request list with low priority or something :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

hbrickface wrote:Some bugs can add a lot of charm to the game. There have been entire websites devoted to exploiting game bugs.
Sure, but those bugs can also be a consequence of serious problems, and/or inhibit future engine enhancements. There were exploits in earlier versions of Morrowind that were fixed in later official versions (the 7 minute speed run, for instance, was done in an early version of Morrowind because it had exploits for massive stat increases, which were fixed as the engine was stablized (as much as Bethesda's engine is stable)). There were even charming bugs in OpenMW, but they get fixed. If people really want to keep it, they can mod it in "properly".
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Exactly. If you like the original exploits, you will likely be able to re-enable them as you desire, with all their implications and consequences, as a mod. However, if the only reason they're around is because Bethesda's coders didn't pay enough attention, it's probably better to have the working experience anyway for the majority of users.
hbrickface

Post by hbrickface »

SquireNed wrote:Exactly. If you like the original exploits, you will likely be able to re-enable them as you desire, with all their implications and consequences, as a mod. However, if the only reason they're around is because Bethesda's coders didn't pay enough attention, it's probably better to have the working experience anyway for the majority of users.
OK :(

Does this mean I need to make a C++ patch and recompile the executable?

Could I add the changes to the OpenMW code base, say with derived classes that implement the original Morrowind experience, but are left disabled via preprocessor definition or perhaps just disabled but enabled via command-line parameter?

Are you going to fix the bug where an item with 1-4 Fortify Strength gives you only 1-3 points? (Probably due to an off-by one use of random number generator function or something.) That could change game balance a bit.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Isnt there something stickied or posted somewhere on this? Every now and then we get someone asking if the original bugs are going to be included when it should be obvious that actual coding errors and broken things will not be. So if there isnt something somewhere, maybe this should be stickied or something similiar.

The only real 'bug' I liked was the shop keepers wearing the most expensive item you sold them. I always thought it was fun to give them matching armor sets to wear and stuff.
hbrickface

Post by hbrickface »

Tarius wrote:Every now and then we get someone asking if the original bugs are going to be included when it should be obvious that actual coding errors and broken things will not be.
It's probably because many people enjoyed the exploits.
Like I said, the exploits were a big part of the fun of the original game.

Also, I'm not sure 100% of them were unintended. A surprising number of games, e.g. FF3 and Final Fantasy Tactics have item duplication "bugs". Both Morrowind and Oblivion do. They may be testing hooks intentionally left in for players to enjoy.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

hbrickface wrote: Does this mean I need to make a C++ patch and recompile the executable?
Oh gods, no dude! He was saying that openmw + opencs will be much more moddable than vanilla morrowind + construction set. You'll probably just be able to make a mod with our editor, opencs, that recreates some of the bugs (or all of them, who knows) that you are talking about. But this is much cleaner/better than purposefully coding bugs in our software.

Also @Chris: laughed at my own video :D
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Why would you ask the team to purposely keep bugs in their code? Why not make a mod that gives you god potions, or a Vivec follower mod (using your charm Vivec example).

Edit: Oops, the mod idea was already posted, my bad.
ezze

Post by ezze »

They are bugs, nothing more. In a closed source project often you cannot do anything; here it is possible to fix them and the team will. Everyone that find a bug should not start a site of how to use it or other nonsense, but file a report on the tracker.

You might make your own mod for replicating the quirky behavior if you really want.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

The target/effect glitch for making spells permanent is only on the xbox and vanilla version of morrowind with no expansions. It was patched out of morrowind with the release of one of the expansions (I'm guessing tribunal since it came out first).

I've asked about it previously but don't remember what/if there was a specific response about it.