Compatibility with MGSO

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
SirAmiel

Compatibility with MGSO

Post by SirAmiel »

Hi guys,
Just one question.
Is OpenMW compatible with MGSO?
Should I use them together?
Okulo

Re: Compatibility with MGSO

Post by Okulo »

Simple answer: MGSO is more like a modpack. Some mods included in MGSO (such as the Graphics Extender and the Code Patch) are incompatible. You should be able to use most, if not all mods that change the textures and models, though.

I'm sure someone else can give a much more detailed answer.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

It is also worth mentioning that mods like Morrowind Script Extender or Morrowind Code patch only exist to work around problems and limitations in Morrowind itself. Sine OpenMW is not Morrowind those problems and limitations can be addressed directly, so there will be no need for those mods in the first place.

Of course someone would still have to sit down and adapt MGSO to OpenMW, preferably in a multi-platform way, but the majority of the modpack's content can be use (or will be usable when OpenMW reaches version 1.0).
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

All they would have to do is change the installer. There would be basically no work for the other mods and models and textures.
ezze

Post by ezze »

(I do not speak as official position, but only from what I understood of this project)

About the Script Extender the extra scripting that it allows is not implemented yet, and it won't be before version 1.00. But since an important aim of OpenMW is the possibility of using all existing community creations it will be implemented eventually. You won't use the Script Extender as you do now in Windows, but OpenMW will be able to use the mods that needs it.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It was discussed few times already. OpenMW will not support MWSE or MWSE specific instructions but you will be able to do everything that MWSE allows (and more) with openmw.

My favorite MWSE mod already can be remade in the OpenMW and we are not even 1.0.0! :roll:
ezze

Post by ezze »

Which is?
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

What makes it possible in OpenMW?
ezze

Post by ezze »

Strictly speaking, since OpenMW is open source you can make everything... but I am not sure what sirherrbatka meant