OpenMW 0.29.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.29.0

Post by Zini »

Bug #1167: Editor: Referenceables are not correctly loaded when dealing with more than one content file
Broken load code in the editor for referenceables (weapons, statics, activators; any object that you can put into a scene)
Feature #428: Player death <- we already had this, this is implementing the 3rd person view and menu right?
We had a partial implementation before. Now it is complete.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Just for fun, attempted a trial merge of openmw-29 to the master branch. All looks good except some conflicts in

apps/openmw/mwmechanics/aicombat.cpp

which is probably due to the git issues I had earlier :oops: Anyway, manually selecting the parts from openmw-29 resolves the conflicts.

EDIT5: looks like my repository's "master" was out of sync again. Have to rebase I guess. aicombat.cpp needs to be manually fixed before merging openmw-29 branch. On my local work area I had to re-apply statemanagerimp.cpp and esmwriter.cpp (don't know why they regressed)
Last edited by cc9cii on 02 Mar 2014, 07:55, edited 5 times in total.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini

Post by Zini »

Looks good to me. Should we go more into details regarding what is implemented for save/load? Might cut down on the reporting of missing features, that are already listed on the tracker. On the other hand, most people probably won't pay attention anyway.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Actually, there is something important missing. Quoting myself:
In the release message it should also be explicitly stated that the saved game format is not final yet. Until 1.0 it can be changed at any time, which may break compatibility with older saves.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Zini wrote:Actually, there is something important missing.
Ah, hit the raw view of the Gist, I put this in there:
This release includes the first implementation of the Save/Load feature, which catapults OpenMW closer to being completely playable. Not that not all aspects of the game state are currently saved, and that the file format will most certainly change before release, so save files may become obsoleted in future versions.
Definitely think it'd be good to put in more details on the Save/Load, but let me know what you think should be said.
Zini

Post by Zini »

You might want to check the grammar of the second sentence.
that the file format will most certainly change before release
I would have objected against this wording a few moments ago, but since I just broke the saved game format for 0.30.0, that does not apply anymore.
so save files may become obsoleted in future versions.
That on the other hand is a very unusual wording. If I did not know, what it meant, I may not have understood it.

If we want to go more into detail, then we should list the parts that are not saved yet:
- Player controls enable/disable
- weather
- some creature state, including all magic (also used by NPCs)
- movement of objects between cells (except for the player)
- fog of war
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

so save files may become obsoleted in future versions.

That on the other hand is a very unusual wording. If I did not know, what it meant, I may not have understood it.
I agree here.
I would go with something like "Due to the fact that the save/load feature is still subject to change, save files produced in earlier versions of OpenMW(ie starting with this version) may become incompatable with future releases of OpenMW."
Gez

Post by Gez »

Or more simply "There is no guarantee of forward compatibility of saves with future versions of OpenMW."
Zini

Post by Zini »

Both are fine, but we must also make clear that this only applies up to 1.0. Otherwise people will be rightfully pissed off.