FPS limiter

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
WeirdSexy

Re: FPS limiter

Post by WeirdSexy »

sirherrbatka wrote:Radeon, perhaps?
I don't think OpenGL performance is too bad on modern Radeon cards, is it?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

It is decent on OSX, mostly ok on linux. No idea about windows, but they may care less about opengl on DX platforms.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

My impression of OpenGL is that it takes alot more performance to run than directx does. This is from experience. I had only suspected that it might but seeing as scrawl says it does, it confirms what I thought.

Maybe scrawl should try and join the OpenGL project haha.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Tarius wrote:My impression of OpenGL is that it takes alot more performance to run than directx does.
Just remember there's a really big difference between how fast "OpenGL" is and how fast Ogre's OpenGL code is. OpenGL by itself can be screamingly fast, depending on the driver. But if you write poor code for it, of course it's going to be slow.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

raevol wrote:
Tarius wrote:My impression of OpenGL is that it takes alot more performance to run than directx does.
Just remember there's a really big difference between how fast "OpenGL" is and how fast Ogre's OpenGL code is. OpenGL by itself can be screamingly fast, depending on the driver. But if you write poor code for it, of course it's going to be slow.
I hope you dont mean by itself as standalone only testing/demo by itself.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

This is bullshit. OpenGL and DirectX are just APIs. You should get about the same performance. There must be something going wrong that is dragging your peformance down. Please post the ogre.log.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Tarius wrote:I hope you dont mean by itself as standalone only testing/demo by itself.
What I mean is:
scrawl wrote:This is bullshit. OpenGL and DirectX are just APIs. You should get about the same performance. There must be something going wrong that is dragging your peformance down.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Yeah, OpenGL and DirectX should be pretty similar if they do the same things. Of course, since they use different shader models and function in similar but often diverse methods, the code is not identical and a function that may be cheap in one is expensive in the other (OpenGL, iirc, functions in a way that is theoretically superior to many of DirectX's things, but can also lead to issues with optimization, but that may be my poor understanding of the functionality).