SCaLE 12x call for papers

Not about OpenMW? Just about Morrowind in general? Have some random babble? Kindly direct it here.
raevol

Re: SCaLE 12x call for papers

Post by raevol »

ezze wrote:Will there be a streaming video of the event or a recording?
I really doubt it will be streamed, but I'm hoping to record it. And if my recording fails, I think the Expo films them all and puts them up eventually. Not 100% on that though. I'll do my best! I'll for sure be putting my slides up somewhere.
ezze

Post by ezze »

That is good, but good slides without the speaker are fairly useless... I hope in a recording. Best wishes and good luck!
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

raevol wrote:Here we are on the schedule: http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale12x/schedule/friday :)

Still in process of getting my notes together. Looking forward to it!
Nice, there is almost nothing else on the hour you go up. I expect large quantities of Qt devs once this is over Raevol :).
And I may have told you this already, but +10000 karma for (daring) doing this.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Just read the schedule description. Sounds good - I'd want to go to your talk if I were attending SCaLE! :D

Make sure you have plenty to talk about!
Zini wrote:
- good and bad things about using open source libraries in such a large scale project as this
If that is proprietary libraries vs open source libraries, then obviously there is only good. If you mean libraries vs writing the stuff ourself, that might be an interesting point.
If you do this you'll have a lot to talk about. Obviously there's the biggest library we use, Ogre3D, then there are smaller libraries like Bullet, some of which our own devs have either contributed to or written themselves (I'm mostly talking about Scrawl here).

For Ogre I know that Scrawl has contributed plenty back to their code and community just by checking the Ogre3D forums and Bitbucket. I'm not sure there's reason to mention Scrawl's Shiny library used in OpenMW ("a shader and material management library for OGRE") but it's still pretty cool. But yeah, OpenMW definitely provides an opportunity to get experience with quite a few interesting FOSS library projects.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote:I'm not sure there's reason to mention Scrawl's Shiny library used in OpenMW ("a shader and material management library for OGRE") but it's still pretty cool.
I actually wanted to talk about this a lot... I need to harass scrawl for infos. Haha.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

raevol wrote:
Greendogo wrote:I'm not sure there's reason to mention Scrawl's Shiny library used in OpenMW ("a shader and material management library for OGRE") but it's still pretty cool.
I actually wanted to talk about this a lot... I need to harass scrawl for infos. Haha.
I think its a good idea to talk about this because it shows the benefits that end up coming out of a large project like this. Sort of how alot of stuff came out of the space program.