GSoC 2014

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Br0ken

GSoC 2014

Post by Br0ken »

Will the OpenMW to participate in GSoC 2014?
Zini

Re: GSoC 2014

Post by Zini »

Unlikely. There is the issue of accepting money for work on OpenMW (which is essentially what GSoC does). We want to stay away from that, just to be sure. That is the biggest concern. But I also don't think that OpenMW is well suited to the way GSoC works.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

If someone wants to pay money to help openmw he should consider looking at the OGRE. I even thinked about proposing OpenMW crowd founding campaing, but not for OpenMW… for OGRE3D. Scrawl mentioned that OGRE opengl renderer is slow. That's interesting since with OpenGL you can do a lot of draw calls per second ─ and that is crucial in the context of our sick batch counts.

However, that is offtopic ;-)
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Why not? After all, student's work is paid by Google, mentor will receive only $500, which can be donated to OGRE. ;)
For example, in GSoC 2013 the WorldForge engine (uses OGRE) has received six slots, ScummVM - four slots, SuperTuxKart - three slots. Nice addition to development!
raevol

Post by raevol »

Br0ken wrote:Why not? After all, student's work is paid by Google, mentor will receive only $500, which can be donated to OGRE. ;)
For example, in GSoC 2013 the WorldForge engine (uses OGRE) has received six slots, ScummVM - four slots, SuperTuxKart - three slots. Nice addition to development!
This has been discussed to death, search around for some of the other threads. We can't accept money.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

raevol wrote:This has been discussed to death, search around for some of the other threads. We can't accept money.
I read these threads, but there was discussed crowdfunding, not GSoC. Google's money receives only student accepted by Google for performing certain tasks, nothing more. Don't see any problems with the legality or morality, money received for mentoring can be donated to OGRE, as I wrote above. As a result, the OpenMW gets only code.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Sorry, but no. We should not take any risk at all. And that means we stay away from anything that involves taking money, directly or indirectly, even if we pass it on to someone else.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Okay, as you wish.
But, will the OpenMW to participate in GSoC (and accept donations) in future? When project will be not only a replacer for Morrowind engine, but also the game engine with it's own content (Example Suite).
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

Doubt it.
Besides, there's no real need.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:Sorry, but no. We should not take any risk at all. And that means we stay away from anything that involves taking money, directly or indirectly, even if we pass it on to someone else.
You know Zini, sometime after 1.0, we should take a good hard look at the things about OpenMW that make it questionable to do things like GSoC. I'm not an advocate, necessarily, for paying for programming on OpenMW, but it's the problem of having the fear that "something could happen" that bothers me.

I know there are several perfectly acceptable open-source projects out there that replicate proprietary software, and I'm sure some of them even participate in programs like GSoC.

Again, I repeat that we don't need to participate in things like GSoC, but we really shouldn't be afraid of it, unless we're doing something someone somewhere could sue us for. It would be nice to know, is all I'm saying, or else I fear we won't get many high-profile teams wanting to use OpenMW for their own games.

We could do something about reducing 3rd-party anxiety about using our engine. Not now, but later.