OpenMW 0.27.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.27.0

Post by Zini »

And once more ...

It seems that the GetLOS instruction (which I have been pushing for a while), is finally about to be get picked up and we also have combat AI queued up.

There are still 3 AI packages up for grabs. Would be nice if we could get a complete AI for 0.27.0 (whatever complete means in terms of Morrowind).

The Acrobatics skill is on the roadmap for ages. Any chance, that we can finally get rid of it? I am getting tired of pushing it from roadmap to roadmap.

I also added two more major tasks:

* Ranged Combat
* Vampirism

I added ranged combat instead of magic for now, because magic is more complex, there may be some issues with it and we have still a lot of other important tasks. Just seems like the wrong time to take on magic. That being said, if someone is dead set on doing magic, don't let me stop you.

And since we already have werewolfs, we might as well put Vampires on the table. Would be a bit more complicated, I guess.

Another important task is Player death. Once god mode is implemented (which is currently worked on), we can have player death. This could include going into the main menu on startup instead of going directly into the game (but with an command line switch that restores the current behaviour).

Now to the editor: We have two people working on the content file selector and drag and drop. And I am currently taking care of some other issues around startup/loading/saving. Once this is all done, we should be able to at least officially introduce the CS with a couple of videos (maybe close to 0.27.0 or shortly after). And if all goes well (no promise here), we might do a preview release for 0.28.0.

Since the summer slump is over we should aim for monthly releases again. That means about 3 weeks of regular development time.
Glorfdev

Re: OpenMW 0.27.0

Post by Glorfdev »

If somebody want to work on Acrobatics, he can find my old Acrobatics code helpful. It's here:https://github.com/Glorf/openmw/commits/acrobatics
Unfortunately, I'm extremely busy in school so for some amount of time I'll be able just to help with bug-fixing.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Everybody fallen asleep? We are two weeks into 0.27.0 and except for two minor bug fixes, some work on the editor and a half finished tgm we have nothing to show.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

autumn depression :(
Chris

Post by Chris »

I'm still working on the physics rewrite, but Bullet is making things exceedingly difficult due to bugs it seems to have and I can't see how to work around (doesn't help that Bullet has practically no API reference, and the documentation it has only covers the basics, rarely any production-ready use-cases).
Zini

Post by Zini »

We still have two very important tasks related to the editor. And if we want to do the first preview release alongside OpenMW 0.27.0 (which I am seriously considering now) then these tasks are also urgent.

- Merge --master and --plugin switches
- Editor: Drag & Drop

The first is an absolute must before we can even consider releasing a preview of the editor. Actually, I can't merge my saving branch into master without it, because that would break OpenMW.
If we absolutely have to we can release the first preview without the second one, but I would rather not.

Any takers?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zini wrote:We still have two very important tasks related to the editor. And if we want to do the first preview release alongside OpenMW 0.27.0 (which I am seriously considering now) then these tasks are also urgent.

- Merge --master and --plugin switches
Master/plugin switches merge is in https://github.com/lgromanowski/openmw/ ... ches-merge branch. I will send pull request if you think it's ok (one note - I'm not convinced to launcher part - it can be a bit buggy, because I'm not fully familiar with that code. It would be good if pvdk could make a review of it).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Thanks. Great that we finally have someone for this task.

Here are the problems I see:

- Engine still has master and plugin (addMaster, addPlugin functions). That will not work, in particular because esm is not equal omwgame.
- You load the content files sorted by file type. You need to preserve the original order instead and ignore the type.
- Your branch is based on master. It should be based on saving, because some of the code you changed probably does not even exist anymore.
- The launcher code still has master/plugin stuff too (that might be covered by the previous point).
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

The weekly update made it sound like you need help. I'm taking a very light load this semester and am working on porting a game to Android with a friend, so I'm sure I can free up some time to help out again. I talked to Chris about physics because that's what I know the most about, but it sounds like has that under control so I'd be looking at a different task. AI packages sound interesting. Which one would be the easiest? I'd like to take it slow to start with but would definitely be willing to take on the more involved packages if I'm successful.

I'm also willing to work on the editor if I'm needed there instead.
potatoesmaster

Post by potatoesmaster »

Glorfdev wrote:If somebody want to work on Acrobatics, he can find my old Acrobatics code helpful. It's here:https://github.com/Glorf/openmw/commits/acrobatics
Unfortunately, I'm extremely busy in school so for some amount of time I'll be able just to help with bug-fixing.
I've started working on it.
https://github.com/PotatoesMaster/openm ... acrobatics