OpenMW FAQ

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Gez

Re: OpenMW FAQ

Post by Gez »

NetImmerse/Gamebryo is described on Wikipedia as "a modular set of libraries" that can be extended as needed. Morrowind is just that: the NI modules needed by Bethesda Game Studio, extended by their devs, with their own code added. Things like the ESP/ESM format, the BSA format, all the RPG mechanics (attributes, skills, levels, etc.) is certainly not to be found in NetImmerse; and inversely I'm sure there are NetImmerse features that they did not need for Morrowind and thus weren't incorporated in Morrowind.exe.

Saying OpenMW is a reimplementation of NetImmerse would thus be claiming it's a full-fledged suit of middleware, rather than a game engine.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

So, this is my first draft and hopefully the last one. I focused on adding the OpenCS to the FAQ and evading confusion by keeping things simple and correct. I didn't change too much but what I changed I consider to be elementary so the faster we can get this updated, the better. Please be scrutinizing because we can't afford to be 'ok' once this project reaches v1.0 and the faq will be read by billions of people.
Spoiler: Show
Note that I left the Do I need Morrowind part out for reasons explained in my original post, I added a note (in FAT) to inform people of the fact they need the Morrowind data files, that should do the trick for normal people.
I wasn't able to edit the source so evidently the layout isn't correct and no hyperlinks are used.
Does the OpenCS use other 'technologies' than being written in qt, should I add something to that part?
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

OpenMW is a new and modern engine based on the one that runs the 2002's Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.
Wrong. It is not based on any other game engine. It is made from scratch using the OGRE3D renderer, bullet physics engine etc.
(Possibly) Support to implement multiplayer
Should be removed.
OpenCS will support editing for all OpenMW features.
All? Features? Makes no sense.
Features added in post v1.0 OpenMW releases will be implemented for editing in the OpenCS.
I would say "content features handled by OpenMW engine".
and all source code has been written completely from scratch
Not needed.
It also builds on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics, and Bullet for collision (and possibly physics).
Could be written better. It is doubled in the What Technologies Does OpenMW/OpenCS Use? anyway.
OpenMW is built with various open source tools and libraries:
Programming language: C++
Graphics: OGRE
Physics: Bullet
Sound: OpenAL
GUI: MyGUI
Input: OIS
Scripting: Homebrew implementation of morrowind scripts.
OIS→SDL2. Graphics→rendering.

Maybe we can have just "legal" section for license?
OpenCS is written in Qt.
Qt 4. Not 5 just yet.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

While we are discussing this.

We should have something about multiplayer and android port.
Zini

Post by Zini »

sirherrbatka wrote:
OpenMW is a new and modern engine based on the one that runs the 2002's Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.
Wrong. It is not based on any other game engine. It is made from scratch using the OGRE3D renderer, bullet physics engine etc.
At least the wording is a bit unfortunate. You could interpret "based on MW" as "based on the game mechanics and the game play of MW". But yeah, we should find a way to explain it more clearly.
sirherrbatka wrote:
Should be removed.
I do not agree. We have no plans for short or mid terms. But in the long run some kind of co-op multiplayer might still happen (eventually).
sirherrbatka wrote:
Suboptimal wording and somewhat obvious.
sirherrbatka wrote:
Features added in post v1.0 OpenMW releases will be implemented for editing in the OpenCS.
I would say "content features handled by OpenMW engine".
Better. But also kinda obvious. The idea here is that OpenCS and OpenMW will be kept in sync regarding version numbers, e.g. when OpenMW 1.1 will add a new type of record, OpenCS 1.1 will get editing capacities for editing this new type of record. I don't know if that is worth mentioning. As I said, kinda obvious.
The editor is made to allow one to make editor plugins, that can be used to extend the editor
One might read that as if editor plugins will be developed in the editor. That is not the case. Also, this is clearly a post-1.0 feature. I think we should clearly separate that.
sirherrbatka wrote:
Not needed.
I do not agree. On occasions people asked to what degree we had access to the original source code.
sirherrbatka wrote:
OpenCS is written in Qt.
Qt 4. Not 5 just yet.
The distinction is not really that important. Just Qt is fine.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

sirherrbatka wrote:
According to my understanding, based on doesn't contradict the fact that's it written from scratch, it merely signifies the fact that our engine tries to have the same functionality as the original one.
sirherrbatka wrote:
Should be removed.
As I read this line, we won't write OpenMW in such a way that any support for coop/multiplayer would be impossible to implement. I do agree it could be phrased better.
sirherrbatka wrote:
Why exactly,isn't that the ultimate goal, to be able to edit any in-game feature?
sirherrbatka wrote:
Not needed.
Since people have asked me when exactly Bethesda has released it's source code, I would like to let it stay
sirherrbatka wrote:
It also builds on various other open source tools, most notably OGRE for graphics, and Bullet for collision (and possibly physics).
Could be written better. It is doubled in the What Technologies Does OpenMW/OpenCS Use? anyway.
Agreed, someway I didn't take any heed to change that part, but it is indeed needed.
only "OpenMW/OpenCS is released under the GNU General Public License version 3" will do. I can add "Both OpenCS and OpenMW are written from scratch" behind "The engine (OpenMW) will come with it's own editor (OpenCS) which shall offer the user to edit or create their own games."
sirherrbatka wrote:
OpenMW is built with various open source tools and libraries:
Programming language: C++
Graphics: OGRE
Physics: Bullet
Sound: OpenAL
GUI: MyGUI
Input: OIS
Scripting: Homebrew implementation of morrowind scripts.
OIS→SDL2. Graphics→rendering.
OpenCS is written in Qt.
Qt 4. Not 5 just yet.
Check.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Zini wrote:
The editor is made to allow one to make editor plugins, that can be used to extend the editor
One might read that as if editor plugins will be developed in the editor. That is not the case. Also, this is clearly a post-1.0 feature. I think we should clearly separate that.
Will do.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Zedd wrote:Support all existing content, including Tribunal, Bloodmoon and all user created mods.
Should be "most if not all user-created mods". Do not claim here to be aiming at supporting all mods, because at the moment, there is no support planned at all for any mod that relies on third-party extensions (MWE, MWSE, MGE, etc.) or for mods with scripts without a source.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We probably should state somewhere, that we do not support 3rd party binaries in any shape or form and also that content created with 3rd party tools may or may not work.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I do not think that possible future support for multiplayer belongs under design goals. It should be a QA format.
e.g.
Q:Will OpenMW support Multiplayer?
A:We currently have no plans for developing this feature. It would get in the way of our current development goals, we don't seem to have developers that are interested, and there are probably some technical factors about Morrowind that would make it extremely complicated, messy, and painful to implement. However, sometime in the future, some sort of co-op feature could be a possibility. If you are looking for an MMO, look elsewhere.