Terrain

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: Terrain

Post by Zini »

Textures are mostly just passed along to OGRE and MyGUI. We don't do much with them at all as far as I know.

Changing game data files is obviously not going to work, if that is what you mean with changing to dds.

Edit: Also I see you are using my master branch as a base. Actually you should use mwrender instead. Most of the rendering related classes are going by now, so you probably have to transplant a lot of code to other places.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Ah. The issue I have is that Morrowind handles texture files in a strange way. So that for example if the landscape file is reference as myfile.tga, but it doesn't exist it then tries myfile.dds and uses that if it exists (Or something like that, it maybe that it checks for myfile.dds first irrespective of extension).

I wondered if you had come across this "feature" before?

All the texture files for landscape are referenced in the esm as xyz.tga where as the actual files are xyz.tga
Zini

Post by Zini »

I have a very vague recollection of something like this bring mentioned before. But I don't think anyone who was involved with implementing this is still with us anymore. I guess you have to take a look at the code. Sorry, that I can't help more.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Yacoby can we have a screenshot or two? Even if it looks terribad? I would love to see this feature in progress!
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Sure. It is a bit of a pain taking screenshots as for some reason the screenshot function segfaults so I have to do it manually:

However as requested:
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3226/openmwt3.png

This was what it looked like this morning before several fixes:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/840/openmwt1.png
raevol

Post by raevol »

:D Pure glee! Thank you!
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Looks good, is there a significant performance drop?
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

jhooks1 wrote:Looks good, is there a significant performance drop?
I don't know yet. I was going to try and implement all required features (vertex colours or whatever they called it) and then take a look at performance. I could do with altering the FPS counter to show more useful information such as average fps, vertex count and batch count and things like that before I do.

I am running a nVidia 8400 and a 5 year old CPU (that wasn't that good 5 years ago) so performance is never going to be great on my computer but I will see if I can do a comparison soon.
Last edited by Yacoby on 16 Jan 2012, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I could do with altering the FPS counter to show more useful information such as average fps, vertex count and batch count.
That is a good idea. Can you do it in a separate branch, so other people can merge it in without dragging in the whole water code? (use my master branch as a base please)
I suggest to change the --fps command line switch from boolean type to a fps display level (0: no fps display, 1: display basic fps, 2: display extended fps).
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Zini wrote:
I could do with altering the FPS counter to show more useful information such as average fps, vertex count and batch count.
That is a good idea. Can you do it in a separate branch, so other people can merge it in without dragging in the whole water code? (use my master branch as a base please)
Done here. I don't like the solution as I couldn't find a decent place to put a enum without getting dependencies everywhere so I may revisit it (or someone else can hack the code around)
https://github.com/Yacoby/openmw/tree/detailed_fps

I just noticed that I branched the terrain from master rather than mwrender :oops: I will get around to merging it at some point, I don't imagine there is that much work in doing so.