I've said it before..

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
WeirdSexy

Re: I've said it before..

Post by WeirdSexy »

Whatever man, OpenOB would be sick.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Man, I love this project. All the other open source projects can suck it. This one's the best! And it's from our own little Morrowind community! How awesome is that? ES fans have the hardest of cores.
cookiemonster16

Post by cookiemonster16 »

I would love to see a OpenOB, Oblivion is horribly optimized.
Oblivion's engine is very similar to Morrowinds, so I would think it wouldn't be as hard to do.

I want OpenES. :o
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

cookiemonster16 wrote:I would love to see a OpenOB, Oblivion is horribly optimized.
Oblivion's engine is very similar to Morrowinds, so I would think it wouldn't be as hard to do.

No, it wouldnt be that hard, would just take a bit of work.
cookiemonster16

Post by cookiemonster16 »

Tarius wrote:
cookiemonster16 wrote:I would love to see a OpenOB, Oblivion is horribly optimized.

No, it wouldnt be that hard, would just take a bit of work.
They would just need a physics engine, modify the ai package and the combat.

If they did this, it might be allot easier to get a proper physics engine into morrowind.
claudekennilol

Post by claudekennilol »

WeirdSexy wrote:I read the post as "Many open-source efforts of this nature end up failing, especially if the main language is changed after significant development, etc. So, I find it rather impressive that the project has gotten so far and is advancing so nicely towards full functionality. Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work."
Exactly, I'm just rather blunt and not as eloquent so it loses a bit of its meaning across the internet.
Lano

Post by Lano »

WeirdSexy wrote: I read the post as "Many open-source efforts of this nature end up failing, especially if the main language is changed after significant development, etc. So, I find it rather impressive that the project has gotten so far and is advancing so nicely towards full functionality. Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work."
I dont want to seem like a know it all, but that used to be my experience too, yet Open Source got much stronger the past decade. What I found to be the source of the problem is that too few people of the community helped new members with information. So it was never a lack of skill/talent or resources, rather a communication and presentation issue.

If people find tasks easily and have the ability to quickly communicate, exchange information then it is more likely they will commit usable resources themselves.

A strong wiki page (or any other well developed guidance) can really boost the success of an OS project. As well as frequent updates, that shows progress is being made. No matter if in small steps or big ones.

It is also useful to have multiple people willing to manage the project on a daily/weekly basis. If one person manages only the ToDo aspects, others can take care of Recruitment/PR, others can help with Documentation/Resources etc. It is a huge workload, and a ton of investment for just a few people. Dividing up the workload is really helpful, and keeps the important people longer in the game. Important in a way that they help to connect the community.

These projects are really inspiring, kudos for all involved & keep up the good work.
Gez

Post by Gez »

A lot of hobby projects, made by volunteers during their free time, fail. It's not because they're open source, it's because they're made by volunteers in their free time.

There are other free engine rewrites out there that are successfully trucking along, too. Exult, OpenRA, VCMI... The most successful is probably ScummVM. OpenMW is certainly impressive so far.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

In fact making a good open source project require good project community. Making a good project community requires not only code that is easy to develop but also quite a bit of psychology.

I think that We succeded mostly because We managed to create community that wants to work together. So, yeah: if you want to do open source, OpenMW is one of the projects that demonstrates how to do it right.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

One thing that keeps me believing in the project is the fact that i can see how alive the project is. There is weekly news post, monthly releases, videos showcasing the progress... Even if a weekly news blog is just a few sentences, I know the project is progressing, even if it is small steps. Ultimately that's what keeps me coming back and even though I can't contribute anything meaningful I can at least test the RC builds or spread the word.

When i first found openMW my first reaction was "this will never work" (that was before there was even terrain rendering) and was about to sidmiss it, but the project's activity kept my interest and I stayed to see what will happen. There are a lot of cool open source projects similar to OpenMW. My current favourite is Nuvie, a modern engine for Ultima VI, but I have no idea what's going on with it and if it will ever be properly playable (it is currently beatable, but there is still wet paint). The last release has been amost a year ago.