End of Year Status 2011

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
Zini

End of Year Status 2011

Post by Zini »

The first year of OpenMW development under new management is over and for the most part we have done good. Last year around this time OpenMW still looked dead. Now there is no doubt anymore that OpenMW 1.0 will see the light of day.

We had three releases which isn't so bad, although slightly less than I had hoped for. We had a lot of problems: forced website migration, partial loss of the old wiki, some important developers gone inactive, people involved in the release process quitting at the most inappropriate time and the mwrender refactoring task which went through the hands of three developers and which will still have an aftermath in form of an to be investigated slowdown and a potential regression. But overall we did good.

We didn't produce a huge load of user visible improvements in 2011. Most of our work was either of peripheral nature or focused on the backend or code maintenance. I suspect that this factor contributed greatly to the decreased public attention we had, especially in the second half of 2011.
But the upside of this is that we are in a very good position now. We have a lot of groundwork covered. The only major issue we need to get out of the way is the configuration improvement and the rest of the packaging automation.
Now we can implement several interesting features that wouldn't have been possible a year ago. Namely I expect for the upcoming releases (after 0.12):
- plugin and multiple master loading
- implementation of most of the missing graphical features
- completing our plan to make the tutorial part at the beginning of Morrowind fully playable.

Also it looks like we will see the beginning of the Editor.

Once we have 0.12 out of the door a much brighter future is ahead of us.

We did good in 2011. Let's do better in 2012.
raevol

Re: End of Year Status 2011

Post by raevol »

I'm definitely excited. :) Keep it up everyone, here's to OpenMW!
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Keep it up everyone, here's to OpenMW!
Well, I will keep spaming our webpage then :D
safferli

Post by safferli »

A happy new year to all of you, and a particularly big "thank you" to everyone who put his precious free time into this project. I'm still super excited about this project, and it is always great to see progress -- sometimes more, sometimes less, but always visible.

Thank you everyone! :)
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Here's for a happy new year, and much more development.
jvoisin

Post by jvoisin »

I think this post should be a blogpost on the website.
Happy new year everyone !
gus

Post by gus »

Happy new year!

By the way, what's left to do in 0.12? Is the inventory GUI finished?

PS: why "Corpse Preparation"?
swick

Post by swick »

Happy New Year!

@gus: sounds reasonable for me because you prepare the npcs to be alive ;)
btw, I would also like to see zinis post on the blog
Zini

Post by Zini »

@ap0, swick: I agree, Will post it later.

@gus: We need to finish the configuration overhaul and the animation. These are must haves. I would also like to see packing automated for all platforms. There are just too many mistakes happening with manual packaging. And the journal GUI would be a very good thing to have, because else we will have barely any user visible improvements.
The inventory GUI is stagnant for months. I don't think we can get it into 0.12.
K1ll

Post by K1ll »

Happy New Year!

And good news everyone but since they are Offtopic you'll have to await my post in the Development section :)