OpenMW refuses to run off my graphics card

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
pueojit

OpenMW refuses to run off my graphics card

Post by pueojit »

Whenever I run v23, it only runs off my integrated graphics which hooked up to a second screen. I have to unplug the second screen to force it to run off my graphics card. Anyone have any ideas?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW refuses to run off my graphics card

Post by psi29a »

I know on Ubuntu (Linux) I just say: "optimus -b primus openmw" and it runs on the discrete graphics card just fine.

Is there anything special that needs to be done in Windows? I always thought there was a 'hinting' system in Nvidia's graphics drivers to steer where certain applications go. Can you set this somewhere in their software?
http://netbooknetwork.net/2010/force-nv ... a-optimus/
^-- according to this, it isn't OpenMW's fault... you need to set this. Google, the more you know. :)
pueojit

Post by pueojit »

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7850, and an AMD processor with decent graphics performance. The AMD drivers are very basic and hard to use. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

It is still AMD's software that needs to be hinted to run OpenMW... does anyone else have this hardware setup?
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I have a Radeon HD 7690M and also integrated graphics. For me, I can switch between them (I usually get prompted when I unplug my charger). Whichever one is currently active is shown in rendering device under the graphics tab of the openmw launcher.

I am on a laptop and have a different card, so things are going to be a bit different. Are you on Windows 7? If you are running dual monitors, which is set to primary?

EDIT: Having two monitors hooked up, one to a video card, and another to the motherboard is kinda weird.
Last edited by jhooks1 on 13 May 2013, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
pueojit

Post by pueojit »

My graphics card is set to primary.
Edit:I have Windows 7 64-bit and the only reason I'm running the second monitor of my motherboard is because my video card only has 1 DVI port, and the second monitor is a crappy TV that doesn't like HDMI
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I see. Other games work fine right? I am assuming that you tried toggling the rendering device in the openmw launcher? If so, I am out of ideas :(
pueojit

Post by pueojit »

Figured it out. My graphics card doesn't support DirectX rendering for this, but OpenGL does work. Thanks for the help. I don't particularly want to use OpenGL, but it will have to do
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I would think it would support it. In the launcher, when you select direct3d, you have a dropdown menu to select a rendering device. I was thinking that may be stuck on your integrated.

It is good that you have it working with opengl though.
pueojit

Post by pueojit »

Nothing's coming up when I select rendering system