Some suggestions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Hidronax

Some suggestions

Post by Hidronax »

There are several ideas I wanted to bring to Morrowind, but the CS capabilities are limited and I had almost lost hope... untill I saw this project :)
I'm listing below some ideas I'd love to be introduced in the game.

You see, I wanted to make a mod that adds a vampire head for every non-vampire head and a condition that, if you're a vampire, replaces your head with the matching one. Yet, I need a condition that checks what's your head D:
I can make the textures for the heads, I've already made one for the character I use.

Also, I wanted to replace the 'hand to hand' animation of vampire characters with the one from the beast races, would that be possible? (I'd also love to add some claws to vampires but some might not like it).
And it would be great if the game replaced automatically the voices of the vampires with the right ones (in Morrowind, special voice dialogue was given to each of the vampires you encounter in the game, it's not a consequence of vampirism).

I'd also love a specific animation for levitating :)
Never liked how the characters just 'walk' in the air...

Sometime ago I made a mod that makes werewolfs look a little different from race to race, yet I can't make a script that runs for each and every NPC, all the time (...can I?). Wouldn't be lovely to see a little variety in werewolfs? Dunmer werewolfs are a little more bluish with red eyes, orc werwolfs have greenish skin and black eyes... Khajiit whould be some kind of weretigers, and Argonians look like werecrocodiles.
And of course something for vampire werewolfs should be included, but as this concerns only the player, this problem can be solved through a mod.

The last idea concerns companions; ever wanted to make your companion equip something without using console commands? I'd love the 'Companion Share' window to show the profile of the companion just like the inventory menu shows the player's one.

I can't thing of anything else right now, might add something in a second moment. For now, what do you think?
Chris

Re: Some suggestions

Post by Chris »

Hidronax wrote:You see, I wanted to make a mod that adds a vampire head for every non-vampire head and a condition that, if you're a vampire, replaces your head with the matching one.
The problem here is that there's a bunch of head mods, like Better Heads and Westley's Head Pack, which add and replace existing heads. There might be a way to select a "matching" vampire head given a particular NPC's normal head, but you'll still have cases of non-matching heads.
Also, I wanted to replace the 'hand to hand' animation of vampire characters with the one from the beast races, would that be possible? (I'd also love to add some claws to vampires but some might not like it).
It should be possible to make it so vampires can get an additional animation source, similar to the way females and Argonians do.
And it would be great if the game replaced automatically the voices of the vampires with the right ones (in Morrowind, special voice dialogue was given to each of the vampires you encounter in the game, it's not a consequence of vampirism).
This would be tricky, since it relies on having a matching voice file for every possible one a character can speak. It might be interesting to apply the effect in real-time, though.
I'd also love a specific animation for levitating :)
Never liked how the characters just 'walk' in the air...
Theoretically possible.
Dunmer werewolfs are a little more bluish with red eyes, orc werwolfs have greenish skin and black eyes... Khajiit whould be some kind of weretigers, and Argonians look like werecrocodiles.
FWIW, that's not how it works in lore. An Argonian who gets infected by a werewolf becomes a werewolf, not a werecroc, a Nord who gets infected by a wereboar becomes a wereboar, not a werewolf or werebear, etc.

That said, I would like to see the lycanthropy system expanded so we can have different types of werebeasts. I'd like to move to a system more like they have it in Daggerfall and Skyrim, where going into beast form literally changes your race, giving you the associated powers of that race and such. You'd be able to make a werewolf race, a wereboar race, a werebear race, etc, where any one of which can used for a given character's lycanthropy.

Getting the necessary scripts to run on any given NPC will be a trick, though. Bloodmoon only used specific NPCs with an appropriate script, and a global script for the player, so you could never simply 'infect' a random NPC.

Skyrim handles this through a thing called aliases. I believe the way it works is, you can instantiate quests and quest scripts with certain references filled in later. So for instance, you can have a quest with a script to give a character lycanthropy. The 'race' and 'character' records would be aliases, filled in at run-time when an instance of the quest is started. So you could start an instance of the quest referencing 'WerewolfRace' and 'Player' to make the player a werewolf. You could also start another instance of the quest referencing 'WerecrocRace' and 'Basks-in-the-Sun' to make him a werecroc.

Any number of triggers can start an instance of the quest, and you can have any number of instances running, though each using different aliases.

I have no idea of the feasibility of a system like this, though. I don't think Morrowind even has the concept of a quest script (that was added with Oblivion), let alone quest properties or aliases that can be accessed by said scripts.
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

This just reminded me...there is a problem with Morrowind when assigning sounds to the creature. There are two ways how to do it - you can do it either by assigning sound files to sound types in CS, or assign sounds directly when creating the Sound Notes in Animation Groups file.

The problem is - when doing the first way, you can assign only one sound per type. This means, that your creature cannot have two different sounds for "moan" or "scream" etc.
- doing it the second way, you can assign multiple sound files, but their names cannot contain spaces, although a lot of vanilla sounds are named with spaces, thus they cannot be used, unless renamed -> creating a duplicite sound files = mess.

Can this be solved in OpenMW and new CS?
Or correct me if I am wrong... ;)

Personally I think the most useful way would be to create multiple classes (scream1;scream2;...scream256) that could be used, because editing sounds in CS is more user-friendly, since you don't need to edit .nif files directly.
Hidronax

Post by Hidronax »

Well, my experience is mainly limited to the NPC sounds and dialogues, I never worked much on creatures... Yet, is there any way to insert quotation marks (" ")? I mean, usually to insert a name that has spaces in a script quotation marks are used... Yet as I said, I don't know.
For the vampires, I was thinking something like a function in the dialogue window, under 'Speaker Condition', that checks if the character has the 'vampire sun damage' spell.
As for the heads, if there was a condition that checks the name of the mesh used for a character's head and a command to replace such mesh, we could make a script like this:

Begin VampHeadScript

If IsVampire = 1
If GetHead "head1" = 1.00
SetHead vamp1
[...]
else
SetHead "default vamp head"
EndIf
EndIf

End VampHeadScript

There should be a default vampire head that is loaded if a matching one is missing. Also, a modder that makes custom heads should be able to add his vampire heads to the script. If he wants to.

And I know Werewolves are supposed to look all the same, it's just I never liked how there are no racial differences at all... More than Werecrocs, in my plan Argonians were supposed to look half-reptile, half-wolf (There are some animals in the real world with both fur and scales).
Yet I guess this idea was for my own personal taste :D
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hidronax wrote:Well, my experience is mainly limited to the NPC sounds and dialogues, I never worked much on creatures... Yet, is there any way to insert quotation marks (" ")?
I don't think that works with sound notes.

The way Oblivion does it, it allows you to specify a sound record that points to a directory, and when you play that sound record, it will randomly pick a sound from that directory.
As for the heads, if there was a condition that checks the name of the mesh used for a character's head and a command to replace such mesh, we could make a script like this:
What I was thinking was that an NPC who is a vampire would, assuming their set head isn't already marked as a vampire, have their head body part replaced with a part record that has ".vampire" appended (assuming it exists and is marked as being for a vampire).
And I know Werewolves are supposed to look all the same, it's just I never liked how there are no racial differences at all... More than Werecrocs, in my plan Argonians were supposed to look half-reptile, half-wolf (There are some animals in the real world with both fur and scales).
Yet I guess this idea was for my own personal taste :D
Well, either way, I would like to see the lycanthropy systems extended, so someone could do this (or something else) if they wanted. I don't imagine it to happen any time soon, though.
Hidronax

Post by Hidronax »

I hadn't fully understood what I read, I thought he was still referring to the CS. My bad (Oops :D)
A system like the one used by Oblivion would solve any problem I guess.

And that system to replace heads would work even better ^^
Afterall there's already in vanilla Morrowind a way to mark a body part as 'vampire'.
...do you think a similiar feature could be inserted for Corprus? (When in the main quest I got Corprus for the first time, I expected my charater to change in some way...nothing happened though. Last year I started a new game, and when I got to that part of the story made my own 'custom' Corprus heads, showing the progress of the disease on my character in three steps. To change his head I used the Savegame Editor).
I think such feature is kinda unnecessary though.

Bloodmoon comes with a lot of conditions and commands specific for werewolfves, I hope one, through the use of OpenMW, will have the possibility to make his own werebeasts.
Sometimes I wish Morrowind came with a Construction Set for the Construction Set.