Better Menu Additions

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tarius

Better Menu Additions

Post by Tarius »

Ok, so lately because of Skyrim, there has been talk about adding Skyrim things to MW but there is always the complaint that adding some sort of menu is clunky at best.
Well, heres the chance to fix that.
Perhaps have a script point to a menu in the CS. This menu could be built through simple a drag and drop type things. Specify a size or have a standard menu size. The drag and drop would be for the buttons and for any text boxes that may accompany them; or perhaps simply have all text boxes with the ability to specify them as buttons.(obviously its just a matter for it to remember the box locations in regards to the menu backdrop)
In addition to the drag and drop style, adding custom textures or even animations to the menu background and its buttons etc would allow for a wide range of things to be done.
swick

Re: Better Menu Additions

Post by swick »

We currently use MyGUI which won't bo so easy to configure for users. But since the many of us are not happy with MyGUI we may be switching to something else after 1.0 release. At the end Zini decides and he wants to stick with MyGUI for now.

btw, I would love the menu purely beeing html + css (and maybe js)
Zini

Post by Zini »

To elaborate a bit more on this statement: I am certainly not trying to play the boss card here. While I was the one who brought up the importance of getting to OpenNW 1.0 (i.e. a functional complete replacement for the original Morrowind) as quickly as possible, we have an overwhelming consent on this in the team.

Fact is at the time when people started complaining about MyGUI, a significant fraction of the Morrowind GUI was already implemented. If we would change GUI libraries all that work would have gone to waste. Even if MyGUI is somewhat hard to use, I am still convinced that we are still finishing earlier without changing the library.

Personally I think even post 1.0 there is little compelling reason to change libraries, because with the modding project I am involved with (U9 Redemption), we try to downplay the role of the GUI as much as possible and use world-interactivity instead (we have completely banned menus).
But I recognise that other people have different ideas on RPG design and if, after Open 1.0, someone produces a branch with a different GUI library and it works better than the original, we will certainly merge it in.
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

Maybe using an embedded browser like http://berkelium.org/ would make the Gui easy to create and customize.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

There is something like this for ogre but I don't see benefits of using it right now and only limited gain in a perspective of post 1.0 openmw.

Besides: adding complete html rendering engine to the video game feels like bloat to me. And I'm the KDE user ;-)
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

I am not saying a switch has to, or should be made.
If i would have to write an in game Gui i would definitely go with something like that.
The productivity increase and large mass of developers able to write JavaScript and HTML should outweigh the "bloat" by far.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Perhaps forget about a "standard" menu, other than mabe a simple space for one.
Ignoring the standard type of menu, you instead call up or "summon" a group of meshes that behave similiar to activators which you can click on. Beyond the underlying code for ad hoc "summoning" something like this, this sort of thing would be governed completely by scripts; it would be called up by scripts, and the buttons would only function through scripts that have been added to them.
Essentially, just including the code to be able to summon in meshes to any given cell allows for alot more freedom in what can be done, even if it isnt specific to some sort of menu.
I know there was a mod that allowed summoning of things like spoons, etc, but that was kinda cumbersome in the way it had to be done. I suppose the difference here is that the world could freeze as if you had gone into a menu, except you havent, you would have gone into a menu like "state" where you can move the mouse pointer around, or scratching that, your view; the entire point would be to click on things.(obviously, if its governed by scripts, someone could get stuck like that if the script is written badly)
Assuming everyone understands what I am thinking, I have no more thoughts on this.