OpenMW 0.20.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Re: OpenMW 0.20.0

Post by WeirdSexy »

Lot's of bug fixes and engine progress in this version but not really alot of user-visible stuff.

How's this for a video:

[FEATURE]: Select Head/Hair/Race on character creation
Previously, the player’s body remained as the default Dunmer male no matter what race you select during character creation, and you were unable to change your head or hair at all. These options all work correctly now.

[FEATURE]: Global variable, pcrace, updated for player’s race
The global variable that the game uses to display your chosen race in various in-game documents and dialog with NPCs now updates correctly.

[FEATURE]: Animations now halt when the game is paused.
Animations now temporarily halt when the game is paused or in a menu, just as in vanilla Morrowind.

[FEATURE]: Mercantile Skill
The Mercantile Skill is now implemented so you can make sure you get the best price possible for all that loot you drag back to town from your dungeon delving adventures.

[FEATURE]: Persuasion Dialogue & Persuasion
The persuasion dialog and associated mechanics are now implemented. A glib compliment or subtle threat can often make those you meet during your journey much more cooperative towards your ambitions.

[FEATURE]: Global Map, 2nd Layer
The travel overlay for the Global Map has been implemented to give you an easy way to keep track of where your adventures have taken you so far.

Any features I missed that need to go into the video?
Any corrections?
Anything particular that should be said in the Outro? Anything about the editor? Ask for help with anything? The example suite? Give an estimate of how much progress we can expect to make in the coming year?

BTW, this is going to be finals week for me. I really shouldn't even be on the Internet except to check email :) If I don't get this done today or tomorrow... it might be a while.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Sorry for delay, will make OS X RC build ASAP
MortimerMcMire

Post by MortimerMcMire »

You forgot the most important part - most quests should be completable. See how far you can get.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

MortimerMcMire wrote:You forgot the most important part - most quests should be completable. See how far you can get.
What makes this possible? The dialog Filters/Functions stuff?
MortimerMcMire

Post by MortimerMcMire »

WeirdSexy wrote:
MortimerMcMire wrote:You forgot the most important part - most quests should be completable. See how far you can get.
What makes this possible? The dialog Filters/Functions stuff?
Yep. I ran through as fast as possible and using the console to kill things for you, you can legitimately get from the boat to dagoth ur. The only problem is you can't wield weapons so you can't kill the damn heart!

You can also rank up (but the text for each person reads %NextPCRank instead of the actual rank, but that's minor. You still get the rank and it still appears in your stats screen.)
Zini

Post by Zini »

The global variable that the game uses to display your chosen race in various in-game documents and dialog with NPCs now updates correctly.
Sorry, that is not correct. The variable is just by some scripts, but not for displaying the race.
Yep. I ran through as fast as possible and using the console to kill things for you, you can legitimately get from the boat to dagoth ur. The only problem is you can't wield weapons so you can't kill the damn heart!
You can via script and that registers now in quests.

I think the dialogue improvements are indeed the most important improvement in this release. I am just not sure how well they are suited to be shown in a release video. Obviously going through the main quest would be neat. But it would also be kind of lengthy, I guess.

btw. you should wait for the next RC build. There were some bugs in the persuasion code. I think it is time for the next build anyway. Can we have another one, please?

Edit: Actually not sure, if killing the heart via script would work. I don't remember exactly how it was implemented.
Last edited by Zini on 08 Dec 2012, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Anything particular that should be said in the Outro? Anything about the editor?
A bit too early for that. Let's wait until the next release.
Ask for help with anything?
We can always use more people. One more Qt developer wouldn't hurt and the research department could also use a refresh. It looks pretty dead right now.
The example suite?
No idea.
Give an estimate of how much progress we can expect to make in the coming year?
OpenMW 1.0. Almost certain, unless something completely unforeseen happens. We are already running low on unassigned tasks. If it weren't for a few particular resilient roadblock tasks and a slowdown in the research, I would even have some hope for OpenMW 1.0 in Q2 2013.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Zini wrote:
Sorry, that is not correct. The variable is just by some scripts, but not for displaying the race.
Ah, you can see that I've not tested yet. What is the "%pcrace" (or whatever it is called) that shows up in documents or dialog where an NPC will be like "Keep your distance, Nord" or whatever your race is?
I think the dialogue improvements are indeed the most important improvement in this release. I am just not sure how well they are suited to be shown in a release video. Obviously going through the main quest would be neat. But it would also be kind of lengthy, I guess.
Would you be opposed to sped-up footage for this? My only concern from showing something like the MQ from start to finish, even if in an unplayable state, would hurt the effect of doing something like a "Let's Play: OpenMW", if we ever decided to.
you should wait for the next RC build. There were some bugs in the persuasion code.
I'm aware. I'll wait; but like I said, if I don't get this done by tomorrow, it's probably going to be next weekend.
Zini wrote:
Anything particular that should be said in the Outro? Anything about the editor?
A bit too early for that. Let's wait until the next release.
OK.
Ask for help with anything?
We can always use more people. One more Qt developer wouldn't hurt and the research department could also use a refresh. It looks pretty dead right now.
Ok.
Give an estimate of how much progress we can expect to make in the coming year?
OpenMW 1.0. Almost certain, unless something completely unforeseen happens. We are already running low on unassigned tasks. If it weren't for a few particular resilient roadblock tasks and a slowdown in the research, I would even have some hope for OpenMW 1.0 in Q2 2013.
People have been asking about this and will be very happy to hear.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Would you be opposed to sped-up footage for this?
Not at all.
Ah, you can see that I've not tested yet. What is the "%pcrace" (or whatever it is called) that shows up in documents or dialog where an NPC will be like "Keep your distance, Nord" or whatever your race is?
^-escape sequences in text output
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

In other words, it's the same variable, but the issue of it not displaying the race is because of the escape character not working?