Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Greendogo

Re: Icons

Post by Greendogo »

We we've been talking about the wrong kind of icons:
Zini wrote:Note that this list does not cover toolbar icons.
Also, Apel's icons wouldn't work for their intended purpose:
Zini wrote:One icon for each top level record type. These will by used by the drag and drop system and maybe also in (sub-) window titles
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

But they are suitable for ES. Skills icons etc.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Apel wrote:I've been working today on a fone for icons. I've add fast processed layer above, to show example of logo. Because i've made a fone, now I can try to make some cool icons for CS.
Great work Apel, love your work!
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I think you could make a wonderful looking HUD for the game itself, Apel.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

ElderTroll wrote:I think you could make a wonderful looking HUD for the game itself, Apel.
That's actually something we'll need for the Example Suite, since we can't use Bethesda's GUI textures!
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

craziwolf wrote:
Apel wrote:I've been working today on a fone for icons. I've add fast processed layer above, to show example of logo. Because i've made a fone, now I can try to make some cool icons for CS.
What about my work!? I made my avatar myself you know. A professional like you has to have respect for that masterpiece! You wanna know the programs i used?
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

Zedd wrote:
craziwolf wrote:
What about my work!? I made my avatar myself you know. A professional like you has to have respect for that masterpiece! You wanna know the programs i used?
Zedd, please post on topic.

Edit:
My only friend: lgro...
Herr
Zini

Post by Zini »

So .... It's been a while. Have we come up with anything usable? Or anything that will turn into something usable once fully developed?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

There were several variations for number 1, the application icon. You can build on those ideas or use one of them as is. You might want to have separate threads for each sub-type of icon (at least the application icon, because several pages can be spent making one sometimes).

Apel made some pretty attractive icons, but they won't suit your purposes. [link]

For section 3a and 3b: Do you really want to have an individual icon for each reference type only for the drag-and-drop cursor icon? Wouldn't a single icon for that be a lot easier? Or the text name of whatever's being dragged.

Other than those icon types (1. application icon, and 3a./3b. reference drag-and-drop icons) the other categories in your list were 2) modification status icons, which we've already discussed, perhaps we should focus on those, they should be easiest after number 1. The other categories were 4 and 5 and I don't think any work at all has been done with them yet.

A lot talk was passed back and forth about both Apel's icons and using Tango icons, neither of which solves anything for the task at hand, since like I said before Apel's stuff wouldn't be suitable and Tango icons were discussed for completely uninformed reasons (people thought you wanted toolbar icons already).
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah, I kinda have followed the thread, so I had a rough idea what had been talked about. I was hoping to trigger new input from the people involved or updates about their work that they have not posted yet.
For section 3a and 3b: Do you really want to have an individual icon for each reference type only for the drag-and-drop cursor icon? Wouldn't a single icon for that be a lot easier? Or the text name of whatever's being dragged.
Usually I am all for text over icons. But this is a situation where the editor could really benefit for them. Being able to easily identify what you are dealing with would improve the usability considerably. A single icon for all record types on the other hand would be completely useless. If we have the design capacity, we should definitely go for the full list. If not, then we can completely forget about it for now and maybe add icons in a later version (post-1.0 even).

btw. these icons probably have other uses besides the one listed. Didn't think of it at first, but we can use them as an alternative to textual record types in mixed record-type tables (e.g. referencable ID lists, the output window of the verify operation, ID search and probably some others).