Logo and designs

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
craziwolf

Re: Logo and designs

Post by craziwolf »

thanks! and you can thank hiphish for the daedric symbol idea :)

I'll give the no text at the top a go so we can see how it looks! otherwise I think it's close to approval from everyone who has seen it lol
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Thanks for trying it Craziwolf!

Nice idea with the letters, HiPhish, but did you originally mean putting OMW in Daedric letters on the corners of the triangle (replacing the vanilla Morrowind's ASV)?
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Ok so some changes have been made.

*Black outline taken away from moon and star in triangle
*Text Centered
*Slogan removed
*Daedric runes replaces with OMW in the triangle
*Edges of triangle made to look more tattered

I have not yet attempted the bevel however I do have a method that I can try out on it.

HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Greendogo wrote: Nice idea with the letters, HiPhish, but did you originally mean putting OMW in Daedric letters on the corners of the triangle (replacing the vanilla Morrowind's ASV)?
Yes, that was what I had in mind first, but I'll leave the the choice to you guys. The Morrowind boxart was depicting the the name of the Great Houses on the edges, maybe we can have something OpenMW-related on our banner? Like the tech the developers are using or the names of the main contributors.
raevol

Post by raevol »

craziwolf wrote:Ok so some changes have been made.

*Text Centered
*Slogan removed

I have not yet attempted the bevel however I do have a method that I can try out on it.
Dude this looks amazing. I don't think it looks bad missing the sub-title.

What about taking off the black edges of the top OMW runes? To be consistent with the rest? Aside from that, nothing more from me! Looks so good! Great work!

Edit: Sorry wait, one last thing. It's so minor I totally missed it, so you could skip this: but I think maybe the moon and star need somewhat tattered edges to be consistent with the rest.

Edit edit: By the way I think the letters look fine without a bevel. I haven't seen them with a bevel so it might look great, but I really think they look fine as is. Gives it more of a primitive feel, instead of a refined, crafted feel.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

raevol wrote:
craziwolf wrote:Ok so some changes have been made.

*Text Centered
*Slogan removed

Dude this looks amazing. I don't think it looks bad missing the sub-title.

What about taking off the black edges of the top OMW runes? To be consistent with the rest? Aside from that, nothing more from me! Looks so good! Great work!

Edit: Sorry wait, one last thing. It's so minor I totally missed it, so you could skip this: but I think maybe the moon and star need somewhat tattered edges to be consistent with the rest.

Edit edit: By the way I think the letters look fine without a bevel. I haven't seen them with a bevel so it might look great, but I really think they look fine as is. Gives it more of a primitive feel, instead of a refined, crafted feel.
Lol so many edits! I had a go at making the edge of the moon and star tattered but it just doesn't look right? the clean cut gives a hint of sophistication in an otherwise grungy scene :P

I also agree about the black outline around the OMW at the op but by the time I had noticed it I had already uploaded it so I thought i would take it out next edit ;)
Yes, that was what I had in mind first, but I'll leave the the choice to you guys. The Morrowind boxart was depicting the the name of the Great Houses on the edges, maybe we can have something OpenMW-related on our banner? Like the tech the developers are using or the names of the main contributors.
My turn for edits ;)

I really like that idea its kind of a way of rewarding the head honchos for all of their hard work by putting in their names or "handles"
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Holy-moly, that looks fantastic!

I was going to suggest the contributors thing for the surrounding text, but didn't because I thought it would result in leaving other contributors out, and I didn't want to leave people out, but obviously Zini goes without saying. But there are so many others.

Scrawl is basically Zini's right hand man. And Nico (retired now) founded the project and wrote the whole thing out in D. Those would be my picks for the three devs who contributed the most amount of code, so far. What about a year from now? Five years? Do you guys want to change it to reflect the most recent largest contributors each year? See? It's a can of worms. It's easy to keep naming names though: Brother Brick, jhooks, gus, pvdk etc etc.

Edit: Little nit-picks - Since you added the letters to the triangle points do you still want to keep them at the top as well? Also the M on the triangle is a little bright.

Edit 2: You are a gracious artist, thank you for being so patient with us.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Can of worms it is indeed! I think then we should focus more on making the text lore based and as for the text at the top, now that we have it in the triangle it does look a little strange having it twice in such obvious places.
Edit 2: You are a gracious artist, thank you for being so patient with us.
Im doing this for the love of the game and because I believe that this is an amazing project so I will do what I must to make everyone happy! It wont always be possible but ill give it a good old collage try :)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

craziwolf wrote:I think then we should focus more on making the text lore based
The problem with that is, yes, the engine, of course, is an engine reimplementation of Morrowind's engine. However it will also be used for other games - Zini's Ultima total conversion for example, which has no connection to Morrowind lore. It's your choice, just keep it in mind.

I would like to know, what exactly are your intended purposes for this piece? I know a few have commented that it would make a nice splash screen. Personally I think it would make a nice optional replacement for the Main Menu background, though it would be missing the animation. I know that, personally, I feel at least feel a little silly for making all these suggestions to you without really knowing what you're making it for besides it being an awesome OpenMW themed piece of art. It obviously has its uses, but what are the ones you're personally aiming for?
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Honestly when I came across this particular thread it was just talking about the basic logo and possibly improving on it. It kind of got away from me ( I get carried away on things I like ) so the long of the short... anything. Wallpaper for fans, splash page, promotional, backgrounds... if it was liked then great! if not I at least have a nice new wallpaper for my desktop ;)

Although I do feel bad pvdk did a great job on the original so I wold not want to push it out.

And then there was talk about making it so it would generate the feeling of nostalgia! -_- so many reasons. In any event I just want to get on board and do something to help this project :)