frequent crashes

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
csbx

frequent crashes

Post by csbx »

I'm sure this isn't a per se openwm issue, as I've had very solid zero crash installations / configurations in the past. But as of now:

I'm on 0.47 on win7, installed to program files directory. Everything looks great except I've had crashes that are random (running in seyda neen while it was raining, upon entering the Cosades residence), but also a very repeatable crash that may offer a clue. Openmw crashes to desktop EVERY time I press F12 to make a screenshot.

Any guesses ?

----
Update:
I tried different display options: full screen etc., but that didn't impact the repeatable crash. However, choosing PNG for screenshot format solved the CTD normally triggered even if it still doesn't produce screenshots anywhere.
AnyOldName3

Re: frequent crashes

Post by AnyOldName3 »

This is a known issue. It's tracked here: https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/5608. It only happens for some people, and we don't know why.

We don't actually support Windows 7 (although we've not gone out of our way to break it on purpose) so potentially upgrading to a newer OS (e.g. Windows 10/11 or any of a wide variety of Linux distros) might help here. Linux almost will definitely fix itas we've only had reports of this problem on Windows.
csbx

Post by csbx »

Thanks for the reply and info. If it is only the screenshot ability affected (btw, in v0.45 screenshots work normally and I never had a single crash, also on win 7), I'll just continue as-is. It remains to be seen if I'll still continue getting the rando crashes--but if I do, I'll look at those other options.

While I'm here making the bug report, I also want to wish all the devs and anyone working in any capacity on openmw a great holiday--thanks for all that you have contributed to this great project.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Is it telling you a crash dump's been saved when it crashes? We might be able to learn something if you upload it somewhere.
csbx

Post by csbx »

No log that I can see (in game dir / my games dir) and it doesn't mention it's dumping--just swiftly zaps me to desktop. Though as I mentioned above, choosing .png for screenshot eliminates that particular kind of crash even if it doesn't produce screenshots.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If it's not telling you it's crashed with a popup and there's no .dmp file in the same directory as logs get saved to, and you're definitely using the 0.47 release, that's a pain. Reading up on it, it looks like there are certain kinds of stack corruption that could make our crash catcher fail, but you should still be getting the openmw.exe has stopped working popup from Windows if that happens.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Does the log file say that openmw has exited gracefully? Or perhaps anything interesting in theblog file?
csbx

Post by csbx »

I'm a big dummy--there was a log file in the mygames directory after all. I don't see anything interesting there, but maybe one of you will:

It's right here:
Spoiler: Show
edit: I repeated the ctd to re-generate the log above. Note: I press F12 while at the main menu. The result is the same whether it's in the main menu or in-game, so I did it this way to save time. I turned screenshot mode to jpg for the test (recall: png chosen in the launcher settings averts the crash).