Ash storm is following me home

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
kenny26

Ash storm is following me home

Post by kenny26 »

As you can see, I am standing in Balmora and the ash storm is still raging. This has been happening as I started a new character in OpenMW 0.47 and encountered the ash storms in the expected areas (near Ghostgate etc.) but then the storm simply persisted even as I left the area. The first time I was fairly certain I had glitched the game by using Almsivi Intervention in the middle of the storm and porting to an area that shouldn't have storms. I was able to load and recover from the issue by walking back instead.

However this time I encountered the storm during my walk to the Ghostgate Shrine and when I walked all the way back to Balmora, the storm simply... did not stop.

I have no idea how to fix this problem. Shutting down the game and opening it again shows no change. So far the first time I encountered the problem I had to load a backup save from before I encountered the storm. This time my only backup save is in the storm so I really hope I'm able to find a solution, otherwise I'll just have to live with the never-ending ash storm that blankets all of Morrowind.

Edit: Taking the Silt Strider seems to resolve the issue. Still, I find it odd that storms can piggy bag on my character and ride beyond the regions they are bound to. When I tried googling Balmora Ash Storm I found someone's digital art work rendering Balmora in a storm with comments about how that was absurd because it could never happen. It seems it can actually come true.
LoneWolf

Re: Ash storm is following me home

Post by LoneWolf »

This does look very similar to the weather particles issue described in https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issu ... _723003066

Does saving and reloading make this go away ?
kenny26

Re: Ash storm is following me home

Post by kenny26 »

I was worried that it wouldn't make it go away so I always made a new save when encountering the problem, and sadly it did not fix it. I tried saving, closing the game, re-launching and loading. I tried waiting in the same spot for between 4 and 12 hours. In the end I can't seem to figure out what makes the weather behave. At first I simply had to be cautious and keep multiple backup saves so I could always revert to a point before the ash storm swept in. Then later, for no apparent reason, I started encountering normal ash storms again. They would rage for a few minutes (I suppose that's hours game-time) and then fade like normal.