Failed to load save game

Support for running, installing or compiling OpenMW

Before you submit a bug report for the first time, please read: Bug reporting guidelines
kenny26

Failed to load save game

Post by kenny26 »

I just updated from Open MW 0.46 to 0.47 and I am having some issues loading my saved game.
Failed to load saved game:moveTo: Objectis not in this cell.
I can still load the saved game in 0.46 but every time I try doing so in 0.47 I get this error.

Regarding the log I see most other users providing in their posts:
I know I'm supposed to supply a log file as well and it is by default in the same directory as the openmw.cfg file, but I cannot actually find any guides that point me to the actual file itself, only the main directory like that. https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/stable ... paths.html So if you want me to supply such a log, please specify an exact file name, and not just the general directory that contains dozens of files. What is the actual name of the file itself? Once I know how to actually find the log, I'll happily include it in my post. The support FAQ tells me to read the Bug Reporting Guidelines and when I mouse over the hyperlink, I see this URL: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... Guidelines however, when I click the link it just takes me to https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/wikis/home so I'm sorry to say I cannot actually read the guidelines.

Please update your topics and guides to help me know how to provide the information such as log files.
I really want to keep playing using the newest release of Open MW, so I hope this bug can be resolved.

Another strange thing the new version of OpenMW did was to refuse to load even to the main menu because it couldn't find the .esp files from Remiros' Ground Cover, even though I did not use those for the earlier version. I had to download all those files and enable the file path in my .cfg file, even though I don't want to use them since they really destroy my game's performance.
Last edited by kenny26 on 21 Nov 2021, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Re: Failed to load save game

Post by AnyOldName3 »

We don't know the exact path for the log file on your machine as that's dependent on what OS you're running and how it's configured, which is information you've not included. If it helps, though, the engine's log file is called openmw.log.
kenny26

Post by kenny26 »

In that case my log file is too big.
Your message contains 366115 characters.
The maximum number of allowed characters is 180000.
How would I include it in my post? There is no way to simply upload the file itself.

Another thing that confuses me is that I can load my other saved games, just not the main one.
Last edited by kenny26 on 21 Nov 2021, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

For future reference, if you're still in the new users group, and you edit one of your existing posts, it hides it and puts it back into the moderation queue in case you're a spambot who's evaded detection by making a plausible post then gone back to edit spam links into it later. It's best to stick to making new posts until the forum software's decided you're definitely human.

When you're replying to a post, there should be an Attachments section at the bottom:

That should let you attach your log file. Alternatively, you can upload it to somewhere like Pastebin, a GitLab snippet, or a GitHub gist and then paste a link here.

As for the Remiros' Groundcover issue, you'll have references to its ESP files in your openmw.cfg file, either as content= lines near the bottom (in which case they'll have a massive performance impact) or groundcover= lines near the top. At some point, you'll have added these, either by directly editing the .cfg file or using a tool like OpenMW's launcher, and that tells OpenMW to load them. if you genuinely don't want to use that mod (and you might find that performance becomes okay if you switch from loading them as content to loading them as groundcover), you'll need to remove the lines instructing the engine to use them.
kenny26

Post by kenny26 »

I did indeed have those lines at the top of my openmw.cfg file and I was running the game without incident using the 0.46 engine. My main problem at the moment is, regardless of having enabled the content lines for Remiros' Groundcover (I simply have not enabled the .esp files), is still that my game won't load my highest level character on any of the save files, but the other low level ones I made using 0.46 work flawlessly in 0.47.

I'll attach my log file now. Thank you.
Attachments
openmw.log
My log file immediately following a failed load.
(363.71 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I see lots of errors due to loading Remiros' Groundcover as content rather than groundcover, and then also [10:24:20.391 E] Failed to load saved game: moveTo: object is not in this cell, which seems to be https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/issues/6202. That shouldn't be affecting the actual 0.47 release as far as I'm aware, but the commit in the log is bac679d5f5, which is the 0.47 release. I'll let the other developers know about this in case they've got some ideas.
kenny26

Post by kenny26 »

Well for whatever reason launching OpenMW 0.47 kept bringing up the lack of those ground cover .esm files as the reason why I couldn't play the game. It essentially forced me to set them as content.

Do you then recommend removing references to Remiros' Groundcover both at the top of the .cfg and as content? Not that it will get rid of my other persistent bug which keeps me from loading the game. I am grateful for your attention on this matter. So far I'm just playing 0.46 without a hitch, really.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Having groundcover mods loaded as content will make them look wrong and hurt performance, potentially very significantly. I don't see any way you'd be getting failures due to them missing unless you'd done something weird like set some of the optional plugins from the mod as content while not having the main files enabled, so I'd guess that's what it was complaining about.
kenny26

Post by kenny26 »

I removed Remiros' Ground Cover both as at the top of the document and as content, but it did nothing to clear up the bug that prevents me from loading my save file in OpenMW 0.47. I'm still playing that character using the 0.46 build.

Including the new log file following my attempt to load my save file in 0.47 without Remiros' Ground Cover.
Attachments
openmw.log
(22.57 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
fredzio

Post by fredzio »

Do you get the same error if you disable all mods? Could you share the problematic save?